What is the Optimal Offsets Discount under a Second-Best Cap & Trade Policy?
Despite concerns about additionality, leakage, permanence, and verification, carbon offsets have been proposed as a core component of recent cap-and-trade proposals in order to contain costs, involve uncapped sectors in GHG reduction goals, and build mitigation capacity in developing countries. Discounting the value of offsets relative to GHG allowances (i.e., setting a trading ratio less than one) has been suggested as one approach to protect the integrity of the cap. This paper presents a simple theoretical model to derive the optimal trading ratio between offsets and allowances when coverage of emissions by the cap-and-trade and offsets programs is incomplete. I discuss the relationship between the trading ratio and the GHG cap and offsets baseline, which jointly determine the stringency of the policy. While a discount for leakage is always optimal, one notable result is that if “hot air” is introduced by setting either the baseline cap or the cap too leniently, an extra discount is warranted.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://yosemite.epa.gov/ee/epa/eed.nsf/webpages/homepage
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fell, Harrison & Burtraw, Dallas & Morgenstern, Richard & Palmer, Karen, 2011.
"Climate Policy Design with Correlated Uncertainties in Offset Supply and Abatement Cost,"
dp-10-01-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Harrison Fell & Dallas Burtraw & Richard Morgenstern & Karen Palmer, 2012. "Climate Policy Design with Correlated Uncertainties in Offset Supply and Abatement Cost," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 88(3), pages 589-611.
- Shortle, James S., 1987. "Allocative Implications Of Comparisons Between The Marginal Costs Of Point And Nonpoint Source Pollution Abatement," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 16(1), April.
- Brian C. Murray & Bruce A. McCarl & Heng-Chi Lee, 2004.
"Estimating Leakage from Forest Carbon Sequestration Programs,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 80(1), pages 109-124.
- Brian C. Murray & Bruce A. McCarl & Heng-Chi Lee, 2004. "Estimating Leakage from Forest Carbon Sequestration Programs," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 20043, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2003.
- Montero, Juan-Pablo, 2000. "Optimal design of a phase-in emissions trading program," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 273-291, February.
- James B. Bushnell, 2011.
"The Economics of Carbon Offsets,"
in: The Design and Implementation of U.S. Climate Policy, pages 197-209
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marshall, Liz & Kelly, Alexia, 2010. "The Time Value of Carbon and Carbon Storage: Clarifying the terms and the policy implications of the debate," MPRA Paper 27326, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joseph E. Aldy & William A. Pizer, 2011.
"The Competitiveness Impacts of Climate Change Mitigation Policies,"
NBER Working Papers
17705, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aldy, Joseph Edgar & Pizer, William, 2011. "The Competitiveness Impacts of Climate Change Mitigation Policies," Scholarly Articles 5688779, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Aldy, Joseph E. & Pizer, William A., 2011. "The Competitiveness Impacts of Climate Change Mitigation Policies," Working Paper Series rwp11-047, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- N. Wear, David & Murray, Brian C., 2004. "Federal timber restrictions, interregional spillovers, and the impact on US softwood markets," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 307-330, March.
- Gan, Jianbang & McCarl, Bruce A., 2007. "Measuring transnational leakage of forest conservation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 423-432, December.
- Juan-Pablo Montero, 1999. "Voluntary Compliance with Market-Based Environmental Policy: Evidence from the U.S. Acid Rain Program," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(5), pages 998-1033, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nev:wpaper:wp201204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cynthia Morgan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.