Capital Mobility and Exchange Market Intervention in Developing Countries
This paper develops a new technique for measuring changes in the degree of capital mobility confronting a developing country that has restrictions on capital flows and official ceilings on domestic interest rates. Because such official controls rule out the use of traditional interest rate parity conditions to measure changes in the degree of capital mobility, the analysis first examines an intertemporal model of an open economy. This model describes the linkages between the cost of undertaking disguised capital flows, the current account, capital controls, domestic and external financial market conditions, and the authorities' foreign exchange market interventions. The model suggests a means of measuring changes in the cost of undertaking disguised capital flows, based on the past history of differentials between external interest rates (adjusted for exchange rate changes) and domestic ceiling interest rates, provided that the authorities' foreign exchange market activities are incorporated into the analysis. Parameter estimates for Korea, Mexico, and the Philippines indicate that the real cost of undertaking disguised capital flows declined on average by nearly 70 percent between the early 1970s and the late 1980s.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reisen, Helmut & Yeches, Helene, 1993.
"Time-varying estimates on the openness of the capital account in Korea and Taiwan,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 285-305, August.
- Helmut Reisen & Hélène Yèches, 1991. "Time-Varying Estimates on the Openness of the Capital Account in Korea and Taiwan," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 42, OECD Publishing.
- Liliana Rojas-SuÃ¡rez, 1992. "Currency Substitution and Inflation in Peru," IMF Working Papers 92/33, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael P. Dooley & Donald J. Mathieson, 1992. "Exchange rate policy, international capital mobility and monetary policy instruments," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 68-95.
- Donald J. Mathieson & Liliana Rojas-SuÃ¡rez, 1992.
"Liberalization of the Capital Account; Experiences and Issues,"
IMF Working Papers
92/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Liliana Rojas-SuÃ¡rez & Donald J. Mathieson, 1993. "Liberalization of the Capital Account; Experiences and Issues," IMF Occasional Papers 103, International Monetary Fund.
- Sebastian Edwards & Mohsin S. Khan, 1985. "Interest Rate Determination in Developing Countries: A Conceptual Framework (DÃ©termination du taux d'intÃ©rÃªt dans les pays en dÃ©veloppement: cadre thÃ©orique) (DeterminaciÃ³n de los tipos de inter," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 377-403, September.
- Haque, Nadeem U. & Montiel, Peter, 1991. "Capital mobility in developing countries: Some empirical tests," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(10), pages 1391-1398, October.
- McNelis, Paul D & Neftci, Salih N, 1982. "Policy-Dependent Parameters in the Presence of Optimal Learning: An Application of Kalman Filtering to the Fair and Sargent Supply-Side Equations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(2), pages 296-306, May.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1986.
"Tax Policy and International Competitiveness,"
NBER Working Papers
2007, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Montiel, Peter J, 1994.
"Capital Mobility in Developing Countries: Some Measurement Issues and Empirical Estimates,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 8(3), pages 311-50, September.
- Montiel, Peter J., 1993. "Capital mobility in developing countries : some measurement issues and empirical estimates," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1103, The World Bank.
- David Y. Wong, 1988. "What do saving - investment relationships tell us about capital mobility?," Working Papers 88-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Leonardo Leiderman & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1993.
"Capital Inflows and Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Latin America: The Role of External Factors,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(1), pages 108-151, March.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1993. "“Capital Inflows and Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Latin America: The Role of External Factors," MPRA Paper 7125, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leonardo Leiderman & Carmen Reinhart & Guillermo Calvo, 1992. "Capital Inflows and Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Latin America; The Role of External Factors," IMF Working Papers 92/62, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1993.
"Af1uencia de capital y apreciacion del tipo de cambio real en America Latina: E1 papel de los factores externos
[Capital Inflows and Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Latin America: The Role of Ex," MPRA Paper 13681, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel Gros, 1987. "The Effectiveness of Capital Controls: Implications for Monetary Autonomy in the Presence of Incomplete Market Separation," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(4), pages 621-642, December.
- Michael Dooley & Jeffrey Frankel & Donald J. Mathieson, 1987. "International Capital Mobility: What Do Saving-Investment Correlations Tell Us?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(3), pages 503-530, September.
- José Saúl Lizondo, 1983. "Interest Differential and Covered Arbitrage," NBER Chapters, in: Financial Policies and the World Capital Market: The Problem of Latin American Countries, pages 221-244 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harvey,Andrew C., 1991.
"Forecasting, Structural Time Series Models and the Kalman Filter,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521405737.
- Harvey,Andrew C., 1990. "Forecasting, Structural Time Series Models and the Kalman Filter," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521321969.
- John F. O. Bilson & Richard C. Marston, 1984. "Exchange Rate Theory and Practice," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bils84-1, October.
- M. R. Wickens, 1982. "The Efficient Estimation of Econometric Models with Rational Expectations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 55-67.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:6247. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.