Theory-Based Measurement of the Saving-Investment Correlation with an Application to Norway
The work of Martin Feldstein and Charles Horioka (1980) has stimulated much research on the correlations of national savings and investment rates and their relation to the degree of international capital mobility. Theory implies a cointegrating relation between these variables, which suggests this correlation is measured best by an error-correction model. This model includes all previous specifications as special cases, which the authors show are potentially misspecified on theoretical grounds. Applied to Norway, their model outperforms prevailing specifications. The authors detect structural breaks and find that the correlation's time profile is consistent with other indicators of capital mobility. Copyright 1996 by Oxford University Press.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 34 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1988.
"Understanding Real Interest Rates,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 70(5), pages 1064-1072.
- Mishkin, F.S., 1988. "Understanding Real Interest Rates," Papers fb-_88-40, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1988. "Understanding Real Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 2691, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin & Horioka, Charles, 1980. "Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 314-329, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ecinqu:v:34:y:1996:i:1:p:116-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.