Welfare and Customs Unions
This paper proposes that Viner's celebrated trade diversion and trade creation terminology for the customs union problem be abandoned. As the alternative is offered a welfare calculus based upon the terms-of-trade and volume-of-trade taxonomy from the theory of tariffs. The paper discusses, by application of this calculus, the two outstanding controversies in the theory of customs unions.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Kennan & Raymond Riezman, 1990.
"Optimal Tariff Equilibria with Customs Unions,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 23(1), pages 70-83, February.
- Riezman, Raymond, 1979.
"A 3 x 3 model of customs unions,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 341-354, August.
- Michaely, Michael, 1976. "The assumptions of Jacob Viner's theory of customs unions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 75-93, February.
- Kirman, Alan P, 1973. "Trade Diverting Customs Unions and Welfare Improvement: A Comment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 83(331), pages 890-94, September.
- Wonnacott, Paul & Wonnacott, Ronald, 1984. "How General Is the Case for Unilateral Tariff Reduction?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 491, June.
- John Kennan & Raymond Riezman, 2013.
"Do Big Countries Win Tariff Wars?,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: International Trade Agreements and Political Economy, chapter 4, pages 45-51
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Appleyard, Dennis R. & Conway, Patrick J. & Field, Alfred Jr., 1989. "The effects of customs unions on the pattern and terms of trade in a Ricardian model with a continuum of goods," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 147-164, August.
- Franz Gehrels, 1956. "Customs Union from a Single-Country Viewpoint," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(1), pages 61-64.
- Bond, Eric W, 1990. "The Optimal Tariff Structure in Higher Dimensions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(1), pages 103-16, February.
- Harry G. Johnson, 1965. "An Economic Theory of Protectionism, Tariff Bargaining, and the Formation of Customs Unions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 256.
- Riezman, Raymond, 1985.
"Customs unions and the core,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 355-365, November.
- Conway, Patrick J & Appleyard, Dennis R & Field, Alfred J, Jr, 1989. "Trade Agreements vs. Unilateral Tariff Reductions: Evidence from Modeling with a Continuum of Goods," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(4), pages 775-94, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3476. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.