Issue Linkage and Issue Tie-in in Multilateral Negotiations
We describe a model of international, multidimensional policy coordination where countries can enter into selective and separate agreements with different partners along different policy dimensions. The model is used to examine the implications of negotiation tie-in - the requirement that agreements must span multiple dimensions of interaction - for the viability of multilateral cooperation when countries are linked by international trade flows and transboundary pollution. We show that, while in some cases negotiation tie-in has either no effect or can make multilateral cooperation more viable, in others a formal tie-in constraint can make an otherwise viable joint multilateral agreement unstable.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ray, Debraj & Vohra, Rajiv, 1997.
"Equilibrium Binding Agreements,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 30-78, March.
- Lisandro Abrego & Carlo Perroni & John Whalley & Randall M. Wigle, 1999.
"Trade and Environment: Bargaining Outcomes from Linked Negotiations,"
CSGR Working papers series
27/99, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- Lisandro Abrego & Carlo Perroni & John Whalley & Randall M. Wigle, 1997. "Trade and Environment: Bargaining Outcomes from Linked Negotiations," NBER Working Papers 6216, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abrego, Lisandro, et al, 2001. "Trade and Environment: Bargaining Outcomes from Linked Negotiations," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 414-28, August.
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 1993.
"Multilateral Tariff Cooperation During the Formation of Free Trade Areas,"
1048, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Bagwell, Kyle & Staiger, Robert W, 1997. "Multilateral Tariff Cooperation during the Formation of Free Trade Areas," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(2), pages 291-319, May.
- Carraro, Carlo & Siniscalco, Domenico, 1991.
"Strategies for the International Protection of the Environment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
568, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carraro, Carlo & Siniscalco, Domenico, 1993. "Strategies for the international protection of the environment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 309-328, October.
- Josh Ederington, 2001. "International Coordination of Trade and Domestic Policies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1580-1593, December.
- CHANDER, Parkash & TULKENS, Henry, .
"Theoretical foundations of negotiations and cost sharing in transfrontier pollution problems,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
983, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Chander, Parkash & Tulkens, Henry, 1992. "Theoretical foundations of negotiations and cost sharing in transfrontier pollution problems," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(2-3), pages 388-399, April.
- Bond, E.W. & Syropoulos, C., 1993.
"Optimality and Stability of Regional Trading Blocs,"
93-11, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Bond, E.W. & Syropoulos, C., 1993. "Optimality and Stability of Regional Trading Blocs," Papers 5-93-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- John B. Burbidge & James A. DePater & Gordon M. Myers & Abhijit Sengupta, 1996.
"A Coalition-formation Approach to Equilibrium Federations and Trading Block s,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
1996-05, McMaster University.
- Burbidge, John B. & James A. DePater & Gordon M. Meyers & Abhijit Sengupta, 1997. "A Coalition-Formation Approach to Equilibrium Federations and Trading Blocs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 940-56, December.
- Bagwell, K. & Staiger, R.W., 1994.
"Multilateral Tariff Cooperation During the Formation of Regional Free Trade Areas,"
9403, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert Staiger, 1994. "Multilateral Tariff Cooperation During the Formation of Regional Free Trade Areas," International Trade 9410001, EconWPA.
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 1993. "Multilateral Tarriff Cooperation During the Formation of Regional Free Trade Areas," NBER Working Papers 4364, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Whalley & Colleen Hamilton, 1996. "Trading System after the Uruguay Round, The," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 62, January.
- Giovanni Maggi, 1999. "The Role of Multilateral Institutions in International Trade Cooperation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(1), pages 190-214, March.
- Barrett, Scott, 1994. "Self-Enforcing International Environmental Agreements," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(0), pages 878-94, Supplemen.
- Sebenius, James K., 1983. "Negotiation arithmetic: adding and subtracting issues and parties," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(02), pages 281-316, March.
- Raymond RIEZMAN, 2013.
"Customs Unions and the Core,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: International Trade Agreements and Political Economy, chapter 3, pages 33-43
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Sang-Seung, Yi, 1996. "Endogenous formation of customs unions under imperfect competition: open regionalism is good," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 153-177, August.
- John Kennan & Raymond Riezman, 1990.
"Optimal Tariff Equilibria with Customs Unions,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 23(1), pages 70-83, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_601. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.