Reconsidering the Economics of Demand Analysis with Kinked Budget Constraints
This paper has two objectives. First, we identify a problem with the ability of the discrete-continuous choice (DCC) framework and conditional demand functions to fully describe consumer preferences in the presence of kinked budget constraints. Second, we propose and illustrate an alternative, preference based, method for estimating consumer responses to price changes under these conditions. Our preference based approach yields price elasticities on the order of 0.4 and a "utilities expenditure" elasticity of near unity. This research highlights the possibility that households may be more sensitive to price schedules than previously thought. It is recognizes commitments to commodities such as pools or outdoor landscaping influence how water consumption responds to price changes as part of the long run adjustments.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Aaron Strong & V. Kerry Smith, 2010. "Reconsidering the Economics of Demand Analysis with Kinked Budget Constraints," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 86(1), pages 173-190.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James N. Brown & Harvey S. Rosen, 1982.
"On the Estimation of Structural Hedonic Price Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0018, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brown, James N & Rosen, Harvey S, 1982. "On the Estimation of Structural Hedonic Price Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 765-68, May.
- Sheila Olmstead & W. Michael Hanemann & Robert N. Stavins, 2007.
"Water Demand Under Alternative Price Structures,"
NBER Working Papers
13573, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arrufat, Jose Luis & Zabalza, Antonio, 1986. "Female Labor Supply with Taxation, Random Preferences, and Optimization Errors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(1), pages 47-63, January.
- Mansur, Erin T. & Olmstead, Sheila M., 2012.
"The value of scarce water: Measuring the inefficiency of municipal regulations,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 332-346.
- Erin T. Mansur & Sheila M. Olmstead, 2007. "The Value of Scarce Water: Measuring the Inefficiency of Municipal Regulations," NBER Working Papers 13513, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, V. Kerry, 1974. "Intertemporal production externalities, technical change, and public expenditure analysis," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 121-131, August.
- Vartia, Yrjo O, 1983. "Efficient Methods of Measuring Welfare Change and Compensated Income in Terms of Ordinary Demand Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(1), pages 79-98, January.
- David S. Bullock & Nicholas Minot, 2006.
"On Measuring the Value of a Nonmarket Good Using Market Data,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(4), pages 961-973.
- Bullock, David S. & Minot, Nicholas, 2006. "On Measuring the Value of a Nonmarket Good Using Market Data," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25272, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Epstein, Larry G, 1981. "Generalized Duality and Integrability," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 655-78, May.
- Hausman, Jerry A., 1980.
"The effect of wages, taxes, and fixed costs on women's labor force participation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 161-194, October.
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1980. "The effect of wages, taxes, and fixed costs on women's labor force participation," NBER Chapters, in: Econometric Studies in Public Finance, pages 161-194 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Hausman, 1979. "The Effect of Wages, Taxes and Fixed Costs on Women's Labor Force Participation," Working papers 238, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Zabalza, Antoni, 1983. "The CES Utility Function, Non-Linear Budget Constraints and Labour Supply: Results on Female Participation and Hours," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(37), pages 312-30, June.
- Hausman, Jerry A., 1979. "The econometrics of labor supply on convex budget sets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 171-174.
- von Haefen, Roger H., 2002. "A Complete Characterization Of The Linear, Log-Linear, And Semi-Log Incomplete Demand System Models," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Peter C. Reiss & Matthew W. White, 2006. "Evaluating Welfare with Nonlinear Prices," NBER Working Papers 12370, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bockstael, Nancy E & McConnell, Kenneth E, 1983. "Welfare Measurement in the Household Production Framework," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 806-14, September.
- Raj Chetty & Adam Szeidl, 2006.
"Consumption Commitments and Risk Preferences,"
NBER Working Papers
12467, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ellen Hanak & Ada Chen, 2005.
"Wet Growth: Effects of Water Policies on Land Use in the American West,"
PPIC Working Papers
2005.10, Public Policy Institute of California.
- Ellen Hanak & Ada Chen, 2007. "Wet Growth: Effects Of Water Policies On Land Use In The American West," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 85-108.
- Sudip Chattopadhyay, 1999. "Estimating the Demand for Air Quality: New Evidence Based on the Chicago Housing Market," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(1), pages 22-38.
- Edlefsen, Lee E, 1981. "The Comparative Statics of Hedonic Price Functions and Other Nonlinear Constraints," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1501-20, November.
- Palmquist, Raymond B., 2006. "Property Value Models," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 763-819 Elsevier.
- von Haefen R.H. & Phaneuf D.J. & Parsons G.R., 2004. "Estimation and Welfare Analysis With Large Demand Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 194-205, April.
- Hanemann, W Michael, 1984. "Discrete-Continuous Models of Consumer Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 541-61, May.
- Mendelsohn, Robert, 1985. "Identifying Structural Equations with Single Market Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 525-29, August.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance & W. Michael Hanemann, 1989. "The Dual Structure of Incomplete Demand Systems," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-21, Monash University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:14304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.