International and Product Diversification: Their Interrelationship and Impact on Firm Performance
Managerial decisions regarding the geographic and product market scope of a firm’s activities are the essence of corporate strategy. Yet, our understanding of the relationship between these strategic choices, and how they jointly interact to impact firm performance, remains equivocal; with the results from prior studies yielding more questions than answers. This paper provides a conceptual and empirical contribution to the international business and strategy literatures by presenting an integrative framework that captures the joint and simultaneous nature of the relationships between international diversification, product diversification, and firm performance. Our framework and empirical methods address several methodological shortcomings of prior work and provide robust statistical evidence to substantiate or refute prior empirical findings regarding the empirical linkages between a firm’s corporate strategic scope and its performance. A key aspect of our integrative framework is that is enables us to gain a better understanding of how managerial decisions regarding the firm’s geographic and product market scope interrelate, an issue that has not been the focus of much prior empirical work.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mccoll.queens.edu/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter J Buckley & Pervez N Ghauri, 2004. "Globalisation, economic geography and the strategy of multinational enterprises," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 81-98, March.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Wayne Gray, 1996. "The NBER Manufacturing Productivity Database," NBER Technical Working Papers 0205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John A Doukas & L H P Lang, 2003. "Foreign direct investment, diversification and firm performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(2), pages 153-172, March.
- Lenn Gomes & Kannan Ramaswamy, 1999. "An Empirical Examination of the Form of the Relationship Between Multinationality and Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 173-187, March.
- David J. Denis & Diane K. Denis & Keven Yost, 2002. "Global Diversification, Industrial Diversification, and Firm Value," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 1951-1979, October.
- Alan M. Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004.
"A Perspective on Regional and Global Strategies of Multinational Enterprises,"
2004-19, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Alan M Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004. "A perspective on regional and global strategies of multinational enterprises," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(1), pages 3-18, January.
- Anderson, James E & Neary, J Peter, 1994.
"Measuring the Restrictiveness of Trade Policy,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 8(2), pages 151-69, May.
- Berger, Philip G. & Ofek, Eli, 1995. "Diversification's effect on firm value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 39-65, January.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1980. "Monopolistic Advantages and Foreign Involvement by U.S. Manufacturing Industry," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 102-22, March.
- N Capar & M Kotabe, 2003. "The relationship between international diversification and performance in service firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(4), pages 345-355, July.
- Jacquemin, Alexis P & Berry, Charles H, 1979. "Entropy Measure of Diversification and Corporate Growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 359-69, June.
- Peter J. Buckley & Robert D. Pearce, 1981. "Market servicing by multinational manufacturing firms: Exporting versus foreign production," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(4), pages 229-246, December.
- Cynthia A. Montgomery & Birger Wernerfelt, 1988. "Diversification, Ricardian Rents, and Tobin's q," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(4), pages 623-632, Winter.
- Mona V Makhija & Kwangsoo Kim & Sandra D Williamson, 1997. "Measuring Globalization of Industries Using a National Industry Approach: Empirical Evidence Across Five Countries and over Time," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(4), pages 679-710, December.
- Teece, David J., 1982. "Towards an economic theory of the multiproduct firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 39-63, March.
- Comment, Robert & Jarrell, Gregg A., 1995. "Corporate focus and stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 67-87, January.
- J. Myles Shaver, 1998. "Accounting for Endogeneity When Assessing Strategy Performance: Does Entry Mode Choice Affect FDI Survival?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(4), pages 571-585, April.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Farok J Contractor & Sumit K Kundu & Chin-Chun Hsu, 2003. "A three-stage theory of international expansion: the link between multinationality and performance in the service sector," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(1), pages 5-18, January.
- Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2001. "Trade and production, 1976-99," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2701, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msb:wpaper:2009-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HP Bowen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.