The Italian banking system: Facts and interpretations
The paper compares the essential features of the Italian banking system with those of the other large euro-area countries. The analysis focuses on banks? size, ownership and competitiveness, their role in financing firms, the composition of their balance sheets and their degree of internationalization, profitability and terms for customers. Within this overall framework the paper examines the banking system?s response to the financial crisis of 2007-09 and subsequent developments. The progress made in decades past is recalled and further necessary steps set out.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via De Sanctis, 86100 Campobasso|
Web page: http://www.unimol.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1998.
"Stock Markets, Banks, and Economic Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 537-58, June.
- Ross Levine & Sara Zervos, . "Stock markets, banks and economic growth ," CERF Discussion Paper Series 95-11, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1996. "Stock markets, banks, and economic growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1690, The World Bank.
- Hamid Mehran & Alan Morrison & Joel Shapiro, 2011. "Corporate governance and banks: what have we learned from the financial crisis?," Staff Reports 502, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Annalisa Ferrando, 2000. "The Italian Banking Structure in the 1990s: Testing the Multimarket Contact Hypothesis," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 29(2), pages 215-241, 07.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2009.
"An assessment of financial sector rescue programmes,"
Bank for International Settlements, number 48, June.
- Fabio Panetta & Thomas Faeh & Giuseppe Grande & Corrinne Ho & Michael King & Aviram Levy & Federico M. Signoretti & Marco Taboga & Andrea Zaghini, 2009. "An assessment of financial sector rescue programmes," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 47, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Ugo Albertazzi & Ginette Eramo & Leonardo Gambacorta & Carmelo Salleo, 2011.
"Securitization is not that evil after all,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
796, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Marcello Bofondi & Giorgio Gobbi, 2006. "Informational Barriers to Entry into Credit Markets," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 10(1), pages 39-67.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea F. Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2009. "Banks, Distances and Firms' Financing Constraints," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 13(2), pages 261-307.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mol:ecsdps:esdp12068. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Lupi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.