Fearing the Worst: The Importance of Uncertainty for Inequality
We present an overlapping generations model in which aspirationalagents face uncertainty about the returns to human capital. Investment in human capital requires external funding, implying a probability of bankruptcy that is greater the lower the human capital endowment of an agent. We show that agents with sufficiently low human capital endowments may experience such a strong influence of loss aversion that they abstain from human capital investment. We further show how this behaviour may be transmitted through successive generations to cause initial inequalities to persist. These results do not rely on any capital market imperfections.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/our-research/centre-for-growth-and-business-cycle-research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foellmi, Reto & Rosenblatt-Wisch, Rina & Schenk-Hoppé, Klaus Reiner, 2011.
"Consumption paths under prospect utility in an optimal growth model,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 273-281, March.
- Reto Foellmi & Rina Rosenblatt-Wisch & Klaus Reiner Schenk-Hoppé, 2010. "Consumption Paths under Prospect Utility in an Optimal Growth Model," Diskussionsschriften dp1010, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Reto FOELLMI & Rina ROSENBLATT-WISCH & Klaus REINER SCHENK-HOPPE, . "Consumption Paths under Prospect Utility in an Optimal Growth Model," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 10-38, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Rosenblatt-Wisch, Rina, 2008.
"Loss aversion in aggregate macroeconomic time series,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 1140-1159, October.
- Rina Rosenblatt-Wisch, 2007. "Loss Aversion in Aggregate Macroeconomic Time Series," Working Papers 2007-06, Swiss National Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:man:cgbcrp:182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.