Implications of global budget payment system on nursing home costs
Pressure on health care systems due to the increasing expenditures of the elderly population is pushing policy makers to adopt new regulation and payment schemes for nursing home services. We sketch a simple theoretical model to predict the behavior of nursing homes under different payment schemes. We then investigate the implications of prospective payments on nursing home costs using a panel of 41 homes in Southern Switzerland observed over a 12-years period (1999-2010). To evaluate the impact of the recent policy change - from retrospective to prospective payment - we employ a fixed effects model with a time trend that is allowed to change after the policy reform. We find evidence that the new payment system reduces costs for nursing home care, ceteris paribus.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chalkley, Martin & Malcomson, James M., 1998.
"Contracting for health services when patient demand does not reflect quality,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Chalkley, M. & Malcomson, J.M., 1995. "Contracting for health services when patient demand does not reflect quality," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9514, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Ralph Rotte & Michael Vogler, 2000. "The effects of development on migration: Theoretical issues and new empirical evidence," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 13(3), pages 485-508.
- Rotte, Ralph & Vogler, Michael, 1999. "The Effects of Development on Migration: Theoretical Issues and New Empirical Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 46, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Biorn, Erik & Hagen, Terje P. & Iversen, Tor & Magnussen, Jon, 2006. "Heterogeneity in Hospitals' Responses to a Financial Reform: A Random Coefficient Analysis of The Impact of Activity-Based Financing on Efficiency," MPRA Paper 8169, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eric, Biørn & Hagen, Terje P. & Iversen, Tor & Magnussen, Jon, 2009. "Heterogenety in hospitals responses to a financial reform: A random coefficient analysis of the impact of activity-based financing on efficiency," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2006:9, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2000. "Evaluation methods for non-experimental data," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 21(4), pages 427-468, January.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2004. "An Empirical Analysis of Cost Efficiency in Non-profit and Public Nursing Homes," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(3), pages 339-365, 09.
- A. Colin Cameron & Douglas L. Miller, 2010. "Robust Inference with Clustered Data," Working Papers 106, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- A. Colin Cameron & Douglas L. Miller, 2010. "Robust Inference with Clustered Data," Working Papers 107, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Colin Cameron, 2011. "Robust inference with clustered data," Mexican Stata Users' Group Meetings 2011 07, Stata Users Group.
- Gertler, Paul J & Waldman, Donald M, 1992. "Quality-Adjusted Cost Functions and Policy Evaluation in the Nursing Home Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1232-1256, December.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2009. "Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 44(3).
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2002. "Alternative approaches to evaluation in empirical microeconomics," CeMMAP working papers CWP10/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2008. "Alternative approaches to evaluation in empirical microeconomics," CeMMAP working papers CWP26/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Mónica Costa Dias, 2008. "Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics," CEF.UP Working Papers 0805, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Blundell, Richard & Costa Dias, Monica, 2008. "Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics," IZA Discussion Papers 3800, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Norton, Edward C., 1992. "Incentive regulation of nursing homes," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 105-128, August.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Xiujian Peng, 2006. "An Econometric Analysis of the Determinants of Fertility for China, 1952-2000," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 165-183.
- Nakahara, Shinji & Poudel, Krishna C. & Lopchan, Milan & Poudel, Om Raj & Poudel-Tandukar, Kalpana & Ichikawa, Masao, 2010. "Differential effects of out-of-home day care in improving child nutrition and augmenting maternal income among those with and without childcare support: A prospective before-after comparison study in ," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 16-25, September.
- Timothy Hatton, 2005. "Explaining trends in UK immigration," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 18(4), pages 719-740, November.
- Hatton, Timothy J., 2003. "Explaining Trends in UK Immigration," CEPR Discussion Papers 4019, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tim Hatton, 2004. "Explaining Trends in UK Immigration," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2004-440, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2005. "Unobserved heterogeneity in stochastic cost frontier models: an application to Swiss nursing homes," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(18), pages 2127-2141.
- William Rogers, 1994. "Regression standard errors in clustered samples," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(13).
- Arellano, Manuel, 1993. "On the testing of correlated effects with panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-2), pages 87-97, September.
- Austin Nichols, 2007. "Causal inference with observational data," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(4), pages 507-541, December.
- Laura Di Giorgio & Massimo Filippini & Giuliano Masiero, 2012. "The impact of the institutional form on the cost efficiency of nursing homes," Quaderni della facoltà di Scienze economiche dell'Università di Lugano 1203, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Ma, Ching-to Albert, 1994. "Health Care Payment Systems: Cost and Quality Incentives," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 93-112, Spring.
- Ching-to Albert Ma, 1994. "Health Care Payment Systems: Cost and Quality Incentives," Papers 0047, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Karlsson, Martin & Mayhew, Les & Plumb, Robert & Rickayzen, Ben, 2006. "Future costs for long-term care: Cost projections for long-term care for older people in the United Kingdom," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 187-213, January.
- Jegers, Marc & Kesteloot, Katrien & De Graeve, Diana & Gilles, Willem, 2002. "A typology for provider payment systems in health care," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 255-273, June.
- Ellis, Randall P. & McGuire, Thomas G., 1986. "Provider behavior under prospective reimbursement : Cost sharing and supply," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 129-151, June.
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2005. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521848053, October.
- A. Colin Cameron & Pravin K. Trivedi, 2010. "Microeconometrics Using Stata, Revised Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number musr, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lug:wcepra:1301. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alessio Tutino)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.