The Role of Intra-Industry Trade in the Industrial Upgrading of the 10 CEECs New Members of the European Union
In this paper, we analyse the intra-industry trade (IIT) of the ten Central and Eastern European countries (CEECs), members of the EU partly from 2004, partly from 2007, with the 15 “old” member countries of the EU. We use 10 old EU countries’ analogous trade data and trends as a basis of comparison. Besides the (spectacular) growth of IIT, we also examine the trends of strong and not really favourable sectoral concentration of IIT. At the same time, the beakdown of IIT by price-quality segments (i. e., horizontal, low-quality and high-quality vertical IIT) shows a very positive picture, hinting to a very important technological and quality upgrading in the manufacturing industry of CEECs. However, such a conclusion is open to doubts because IIT does not include only the exchange of otherwise similar products of equal or different quality but also back-and-forth transactions in vertically fragmented production chains in the same commodity category. Thus, revealing the actual nature of the contribution to the production of items exported in the framework of IIT requires further research. The latter extends here to an analysis of relative wage levels of workers in industries participating in intra-industry trade, as well as to the examination of the trade of the products of research-intensive (Schumpeter”) industries.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.kier.kyoto-u.ac.jp/eng/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton, 2007.
"Intra-industry foreign direct investment,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
19690, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton, 2007. "Intra-Industry Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 13447, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton, 2007. "Intra-Industry Foreign Direct Investment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0825, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- David Greenaway & Robert C. Hine, 1991.
"Intra-Industry Specialization, Trade Expansion and Adjustment in the European Economic Space,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(6), pages 603-622, December.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C., 1990. "Intra Industry Specialisation, Trade Expansion and Adjustment in the European Economic Space," Working Paper Series 281, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Bianka Dettmer & Fredrik Erixon & Andreas Freytag & Pierre-Olivier Legault Tremblay, 2011. "Dynamics of Structural Change," Chinese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(4), pages 42-74, July.
- Rice, Patricia & Stewart, Martin & Venables, Anthony J, 2002.
"The Geography of Intra-Industry Trade: Empirics,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3368, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anna Maria A Ferragina & Francesco Pastore, 2005. "Factor Endowment and Market Size in EU-CEE Trade : Would Human Capital Change Actual Quality Trade Patterns?," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 43(1), pages 5-33, January.
- Drabek, Zdenek & Greenaway, David, 1984. "Economic Integration and Intra-industry Trade: The EEC and CMEA Compared," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 444-69.
- James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 1999.
"Discriminating Among Alternative Theories of the Multinational Enterprise,"
NBER Working Papers
7164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R & Maskus, Keith E, 2002. "Discriminating among Alternative Theories of the Multinational Enterprise," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 694-707, November.
- Karoly Fazekas, 2003. "Effects of foreign direct investment on the performance of local labour markets - The case of Hungary," Budapest Working Papers on the Labour Market 0303, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Ando, Mitsuyo, 2006. "Fragmentation and vertical intra-industry trade in East Asia," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 257-281, December.
- Imre Fertö, 2005. "Vertically Differentiated Trade and Differences in Factor Endowment: The Case of Agri-Food Products between Hungary and the EU," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 117-134.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Hanson, Gordon H., 1997.
"Foreign direct investment and relative wages: Evidence from Mexico's maquiladoras,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 371-393, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment and Relative Wages: Evidence from Mexico's Maquiladoras," NBER Working Papers 5122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Klodt, Henning, 1987. "Wettlauf um die Zukunft : Technologiepolitik im internationalen Vergleich," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 372, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Yushi Yoshida & Nuno Carlos Leitão & Horácio Faustino, 2009. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade and Foreign Direct Investment between Japan and European Countries," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 37(4), pages 351-365, December.
- Hubert Gabrisch & Klaus Werner, 1998. "Advantages and drawbacks of EU membership - the structural dimension," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(3), pages 79-103, September.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C & Milner, Chris, 1995. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-industry Trade: A Cross Industry Analysis for the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1505-18, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kyo:wpaper:868. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ryo Okui)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.