The Geography of Intra-Industry Trade: Empirics
This Paper uses bilateral trade data for OECD countries at the 3-digit industry level to investigate the geography of intra-industry trade (IIT). IIT diminishes with distance and much of the existing empirical literature suggests that this is an inherent characteristic of such trade, arguing that trade in sectors intensive in IIT is choked off rapidly by distance. We show that the dependence of IIT on geography arises not because of any inherent feature of the effects of distance on such trade, but because of the spatial structure of countries’ supply and demand characteristics; close countries do a lot of IIT because they have similar economic structures.
|Date of creation:||May 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001.
"Economic Geography and International Inequality,"
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," CEP Discussion Papers dp0495, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic geography and international inequality," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3714, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Redding, Stephen J. & Venables, Anthony J, 2000. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," CEPR Discussion Papers 2568, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Hummels & James Levinsohn, 1995. "Monopolistic Competition and International Trade: Reconsidering the Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(3), pages 799-836.
- Rudolf Loertscher & Frank Wolter, 1980. "Determinants of intra-industry trade: Among countries and across industries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(2), pages 280-293, June.
- Claudy Culem & Lars Lundberg, 1986. "The product pattern of intra-industry trade: Stability among countries and over time," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 122(1), pages 113-130, March.
- Balassa, Bela & Bauwens, Luc, 1988. "The determinants of intra-European trade in manufactured goods," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1421-1437, September.
- Balassa, Bela, 1986. "Intra-Industry specialization : A cross-country analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 27-42, February.
- Bela Balassa & Luc Bauwens, 1988. "Inter-industry and intra-industry specialization in manufactured goods," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 124(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Emilio Pagoulatos & Robert Sorensen, 1975. "Two-way International trade: An econometric analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 111(3), pages 454-465, 09.
- Joe Stone & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 1995. "Determinants of intra-industry trade: A longitudinal, cross-country analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 131(1), pages 67-85, March.
- Balassa, Bela & Bauwens, Luc, 1987. "Intra-industry Specialisation in a Multi-country and Multi-industry Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388), pages 923-39, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:3368. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.