Capacity Utilisation, Constraints and Price Adjustments under the Microscope
This paper analyses the interplay of capacity utilisation, capacity constraints, demand constraints and price adjustments, employing a unique firm-level data set for Swiss manufacturing firms. Theoretically, capacity constraints limit the ability of forms to expand production in the short run and lead to increases in prices. Our results show that, on the one hand, price increases are more likely during periods when firms are faced with capacity constraints. Constraints due to the shortage of labour, in particular, lead to price increases. On the other hand, we also find evidence that firms are not reluctant to reduce prices in response to demand constraints. At the macro level, the implied capacity-utilisation Phillips curve has a convex shape during periods of excess demand and a concave shape during periods of excess supply. Our results are robust to the inclusion of proxies for changes in costs and the competitive position of firms.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 44 632 42 39
Fax: +41 44 632 12 18
Web page: http://www.kof.ethz.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-17, June.
- Baghli, Mustapha & Cahn, Christophe & Fraisse, Henri, 2007.
"Is the inflation-output Nexus asymmetric in the Euro area?,"
Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 1-6, January.
- Baghli, M. & Cahn, C. & Fraisse, H., 2006. "Is the Inflation-Output Nexus Asymmetric in the Euro Area?," Working papers 140, Banque de France.
- Emmanuel De Veirman, 2007.
"Which nonlinearity in the Phillips curve? The absence of accelerating deflation in Japan,"
Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series
DP2007/14, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Emmanuel De Veirman, 2009. "What Makes the Output-Inflation Trade-Off Change? The Absence of Accelerating Deflation in Japan," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(6), pages 1117-1140, 09.
- Emmanuel De Veirman, 2007. "Which Nonlinearity in the Phillips Curve? The Absence of Accelerating Deflation in Japan," Economics Working Paper Archive 536, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Tiff Macklem, 1997. "Capacity constraints, price adjustment, and monetary policy," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 1997(Spring), pages 39-56.
- Musso, Alberto & Stracca, Livio & van Dijk, Dick, 2007.
"Instability and nonlinearity in the euro area Phillips curve,"
Working Paper Series
0811, European Central Bank.
- Alberto Musso & Livio Stracca & Dick van Dijk, 2009. "Instability and Nonlinearity in the Euro-Area Phillips Curve," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(2), pages 181-212, June.
- Douglas Laxton & Guy Meredith & David Rose, 1995.
"Asymmetric Effects of Economic Activity on Inflation: Evidence and Policy Implications,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(2), pages 344-374, June.
- Douglas Laxton & Guy Meredith & David Rose, 1994. "Asymmetric Effects of Economic Activityon Inflation; Evidence and Policy Implications," IMF Working Papers 94/139, International Monetary Fund.
- George A. Akerlof & William R. Dickens & George L. Perry, 1996. "The Macroeconomics of Low Inflation," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 27(1), pages 1-76.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Maria-Dolores, Ramon & Naveira, Manuel, 2005. "Are monetary-policy reaction functions asymmetric?: The role of nonlinearity in the Phillips curve," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 485-503, February.
- Clark, Peter & Laxton, Douglas & Rose, David, 2001. "An Evaluation of Alternative Monetary Policy Rules in a Model with Capacity Constraints," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 42-64, February.
- Pedro Pablo Alvarez Lois, 2000. "Endogenous capacity utilization and the asymmetric effects of monetary policy," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 469.00, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Alvarez-Lois, Pedro P., 2004. "Capacity constraints, idiosyncratic demand uncertainty and the dynamics of inflation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 15-21, April.
- Daniel Kaufmann, 2009.
"Price-Setting Behaviour in Switzerland: Evidence from CPI Micro Data,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 145(III), pages 293-349, September.
- Daniel Kaufmann, 2008. "Price-Setting Behaviour in Switzerland Evidence from CPI Micro Data," Working Papers 2008-15, Swiss National Bank.
- Sarah M. Rupprecht, 2007.
"When Do Firms Adjust Prices? Evidence from Micro Panel Data,"
KOF Working papers
07-160, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Lein, Sarah M., 2010. "When do firms adjust prices? Evidence from micro panel data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(6), pages 696-715, September.
- Schaling, Eric, 2004. "The Nonlinear Phillips Curve and Inflation Forecast Targeting: Symmetric versus Asymmetric Monetary Policy Rules," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 361-86, June.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1996.
"The Time-Varying NAIRU and its Implications for Economic Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
5735, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1997. "The Time-Varying NAIRU and Its Implications for Economic Policy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 11-32, Winter.
- Gordon, Robert J, 1996. "The Time-varying NAIRU and its Implications for Economic Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 1492, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edward C. Norton & Hua Wang & Chunrong Ai, 2004. "Computing interaction effects and standard errors in logit and probit models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(2), pages 154-167, June.
- Evans, George, 1985. "Bottlenecks and the Phillips Curve: A Disaggregated Keynesian Model of Inflation, Output, and Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(378), pages 345-57, June.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1980. "Analysis of Covariance with Qualitative Data," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 225-38, January.
- Douglas Laxton & Guy Debelle, 1996.
"Is the Phillips Curve Really a Curve? Some Evidence for Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States,"
IMF Working Papers
96/111, International Monetary Fund.
- Guy Debelle & Douglas Laxton, 1997. "Is the Phillips Curve Really a Curve? Some Evidence for Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(2), pages 249-282, June.
- Emi Nakamura & Jón Steinsson, 2008. "Five Facts about Prices: A Reevaluation of Menu Cost Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1415-1464, November.
- Jean-François Fagnart & Omar Licandro & Franck Portier, 1999. "Firm Heterogeneity, Capacity Utilization and the Business Cycle," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(2), pages 433-455, April.
- Anthony Yates, 1998. "Downward nominal rigidity and monetary policy," Bank of England working papers 82, Bank of England.
- Stock, James H. & Watson, Mark W., 1999.
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 293-335, October.
- Alvarez-Lois, Pedro P., 2006. "Endogenous capacity utilization and macroeconomic persistence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(8), pages 2213-2237, November.
- David Kirk, 1973. "On the numerical approximation of the bivariate normal (tetrachoric) correlation coefficient," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 259-268, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kof:wpskof:09-239. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.