The Shift to Services: A Review of the Literature
The present paper provides an overview of literature on the shift to services. It follows the three dimensions of structural change - final demand, the inter-industry division of labor and inter-industry productivity differences. It first looks at the ‘classics’, however (Fisher (1935), Clark (1940), Fourastié (1949), Baumol (1967, 2001), and Fuchs (1968)). Next, it treats studies analyzing differences in service-industry employment, and offers a discussion of studies focussing on final demand as an explanation of higher service shares in GDP. It also provides an overview of studies analyzing the inter-industry division of labor on the basis of input-output data. Finally, it discusses studies following Baumol’s cost-disease hypothesis.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 2006, 17 (2), 127-147|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baumol, William J, 1972. "Macroeconomics of Unbalanced Growth: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(1), pages 150, March.
- Zvi Griliches, 1992. "Output Measurement in the Service Sectors," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gril92-1, June.
- Ronald Schettkat & Richard B. Freeman, 2002.
"Marketization of production and the US-Europe employment gap,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20061, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Freeman, Richard B & Schettkat, Ronald, 2001. " Marketization of Production and the US-Europe Employment Gap," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(0), pages 647-70, Special I.
- Richard B. Freeman & Ronald Schettkat, 2002. "Marketization of Production and the US-Europe Employment Gap," NBER Working Papers 8797, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Freeman & Ronald Schettkat, 2002. "Marketization of Production and the US-Europe Employment Gap," CEP Discussion Papers dp0559, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Michael J. Boskin, 1998. "Consumer Prices, the Consumer Price Index, and the Cost of Living," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 3-26, Winter.
- Katouzian, M A, 1970. "The Development of the Service Sector: A New Approach," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(3), pages 362-82, November.
- Elfring, Tom, 1989. "New Evidence on the Expansion of Service Employment in Advanced Economies," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 35(4), pages 409-40, December.
- Eileen Appelbaum & Ronald Schettkat, 1999. "Are Prices Unimportant? The Changing Structure of the Industrialized Economies," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 21(3), pages 387-398, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp964. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.