The Myths and Reality of Deindustrialization in Sweden: The Role of Productivity
This article analyzes three possible hypotheses behind deindustrialization in Sweden. The main conclusion is that deindustrialization is both a myth and a reality. There has been a decrease in manufacturing employment in both relative and absolute terms in the post-war period, and the share of nominal GDP has gone in the same direction. However, the high productivity growth in manufacturing has lead to an increase in its share of real GDP since the beginning of the 1990's. Using input-output analysis, it is shown that the loss of employed who work with satisfying final demand for manufactured goods is less pronounced than what is shown by official statistics. The explanation for this is a deeper interaction with the rest of the economy, particularly in relation to knowledge-intensive service industries.
Volume (Year): 22 (2011)
Issue (Month): (Fall)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.csls.ca/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.csls.ca Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dirk Pilat & Agnès Cimper & Karsten Bjerring Olsen & Colin Webb, 2006. "The Changing Nature of Manufacturing in OECD Economies," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2006/9, OECD Publishing.
- Henk Kox & Luis Rubalcaba, 2007.
"Business services and the changing structure of European economic growth,"
183, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Kox, Henk L.M. & Rubalcaba, Luis, 2007. "Business services and the changing structure of European economic growth," MPRA Paper 3750, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luis Rubalcaba, 2007. "Services in European Policies," Bruges European Economic Policy Briefings 16, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Robert Rowthorn & Ken Coutts, 2004.
"De-industrialisation and the balance of payments in advanced economies,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 28(5), pages 767-790, September.
- Robert Rowthorn & Ken Coutts, 2004. "De-Industrialization And The Blance Of Payments In Advanced Economies," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 170, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sls:ipmsls:v:22:y:2011:3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Whitney Hamilton)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Whitney Hamilton to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.