Evolutionary micro-dynamics and changes in the economic structure
The paper develops a growth model with evolutionary micro-founded structural change. The model endogenises both technical change and changes in final and intermediate demand as affecting macro-economic growth, through the structural change of the economy. The aim is to formally account for the empirical stylised fact of the changes in the sectoral structure of the economy which have led to the growth of ser-vices in most advanced countries over the last decades. At the meso-macro level of analysis, we investigate whether the structural changes leading to the growth of services are mainly demand-led, both in terms of final consumption and intermediate demand. At the micro-level of analysis, we explore whether demand constraints affect the degree of exploitation of technological opportunities. The simulated results are based on the use of the actual Input-Output coefficients in the case of Germany. Four scenarios have been identified, which account for the effects of a set of key parameters on the changes in the structure of the economy.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 18 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/191/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faïz Gallouj, 2000.
"Knowledge-intensive Business Services: Processing Knowledge and Producing Innovation,"
- Faïz Gallouj, 2002. "Knowledge-intensive Business Services: Processing Knowledge and Producing Innovation," Post-Print halshs-01116562, HAL.
- Kox, Henk L.M. & Rubalcaba, Luis, 2007.
"Analysing the contribution of business services to European economic growth,"
2003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Henk Kox & Luis Rubalcaba, 2007. "Analysing the Contribution of Business Services to European Economic Growth," Bruges European Economic Research Papers 9, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Giulio Cainelli & Rinaldo Evangelista & Maria Savona, 2006.
"Innovation and economic performance in services: a firm-level analysis,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 30(3), pages 435-458, May.
- Maria Savona & Giulio Cainelli & Rinaldo Evangelista, 2006. "Innovation and economic performance in services. A firm level analysis," Post-Print halshs-00231578, HAL.
- G. Silverberg & B. Verspagen, 1995. "Evolutionary Theorizing on Economic Growth," Working Papers wp95078, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Schettkat, Ronald & Yocarini, Lara, 2006. "The shift to services employment: A review of the literature," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 127-147, June.
- Maria Savona & André Lorentz, 2006.
"Demand and Technology Determinants of Structural Change and Tertiarisation: An Input-Output Structural Decomposition Analysis for four OECD Countries,"
Working Papers of BETA
2006-01, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Maria Savona & André Lorentz, 2005. "Demand and Technology Determinants of Structural Change and Tertiarisation: An Input-Output Structural Decomposition Analysis for four OECD Countries," LEM Papers Series 2005/25, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Michael Peneder & Serguei Kaniovski & Bernhard Dachs, 2003.
"What follows tertiarisation? structural change and the role of knowledge-based services,"
The Service Industries Journal,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 47-66, March.
- Michael Peneder & Serguei Kaniovski & Bernhard Dachs, . "What Follows Tertiarisation? Structural Change and the Role of Knowledge-based Services," WIFO Working Papers 146, WIFO.
- Faridah Djellal & Faïz Gallouj, 2006. "Innovation, services, emplois," Post-Print halshs-00199647, HAL.
- Parrinello, Sergio, 2004. "The service economy revisited," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 381-400, December.
- Giovanni Dosi & Christopher Freeman & Richard Nelson & Gerarld Silverberg & Luc Soete (ed.), 1988. "Technical Change and Economic Theory," LEM Book Series, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy, number dosietal-1988, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joevec:v:18:y:2008:i:3:p:389-412. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.