The Slump and Immigration Policy in Europe
Historical experience suggests that when a period of rising immigration is followed by a sudden slump, this can trigger a policy backlash. This has not occurred in the current recession. This paper examines three links in the chain between the slump and immigration policy. First, although immigration flows have responded to the slump, and immigrants have borne more than their share of the burden, this has done little to protect the employment of non-immigrants. Second, despite the recession for Europe as a whole, attitudes to immigration have not changed very much, and they have been influenced more by fiscal concerns than by rising unemployment. Third, while far right parties have used the recession to renew the political pressure for tougher immigration policies, governments have been constrained by the composition of immigration and by EU regulation.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: P. Bevelander and B. Petersson (eds.), Crisis and Migration: Implications of the Eurozone crisis for perceptions, politics, and policies of migration, Nordic Academic Press 2014, Lund, Sweden, Chapter 2, 25-47|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jakub Cerveny & Jan Ours, 2013.
"Unemployment of Non-Western Immigrants in the Great Recession,"
Springer, vol. 161(4), pages 463-480, December.
- Cerveny, Jakub & van Ours, Jan C., 2013. "Unemployment of Non-western Immigrants in the Great Recession," IZA Discussion Papers 7598, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dustmann, Christian & Glitz, Albrecht & Vogel, Thorsten, 2009.
"Employment, Wages, and the Economic Cycle: Differences between Immigrants and Natives,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4432, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dustmann, Christian & Glitz, Albrecht & Vogel, Thorsten, 2010. "Employment, wages, and the economic cycle: Differences between immigrants and natives," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Christian Dustmann & Albrecht Glitz & Thorsten Vogel, 2006. "Employment, Wages, and the Economic Cycle: Differences between Immigrants and Natives," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0609, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Boeri, Tito, 2009.
"Immigration to the Land of Redistribution,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4273, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tito Boeri, 2009. "Immigration to the Land of Redistribution," Europe in Question Discussion Paper Series of the London School of Economics (LEQs) 5, London School of Economics / European Institute.
- Tito Boeri, 2010. "Immigration to the Land of Redistribution," LEQS – LSE 'Europe in Question' Discussion Paper Series 05, European Institute, LSE.
- Tito Boeri, 2009. "Immigration to the land of redistribution," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 53364, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Hatton, Timothy J. & Williamson, Jeffrey G., 1998. "The Age of Mass Migration: Causes and Economic Impact," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195116519, March.
- O'Rourke, Kevin H. & Sinnott, Richard, 2006.
"The determinants of individual attitudes towards immigration,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 838-861, December.
- Kevin H. O'Rourke & Richard Sinnott, 2004. "The Determinants of Individual Attitudes Towards Immigration," Trinity Economics Papers 20042, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Michel Beine & Pauline Bourgeon & Jean-Charles Bricongne, 2013.
"Aggregate Fluctuations and International Migration,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4379, CESifo Group Munich.
- Beine, M. & Bricongne,J-C. & Bourgeon, P., 2013. "Aggregate Fluctuations and International Migration," Working papers 453, Banque de France.
- Cerveny, J. & van Ours, J.C., 2013. "Unemployment of Non-western Immigrants in the Great Recession," Discussion Paper 2013-049, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Giovanni Facchini & Anna Maria Mayda, 2007.
"Does the Welfare State Affect Individual Attitudes towards Immigrants? Evidence Across Countries,"
Economics Discussion Papers
644, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Giovanni Facchini & Anna Maria Mayda, 2009. "Does the Welfare State Affect Individual Attitudes toward Immigrants? Evidence across Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 91(2), pages 295-314, May.
- Giovanni Facchini & Anna Maria Mayda, 2007. "Does the Welfare State Affect Individual Attitudes towards Immigrants? Evidence Across Countries," Development Working Papers 233, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:2013049 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7985. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.