Older Workers and Working Time
Contrary to much of the established literature, this paper finds that though many older workers would prefer to reduce their working hours (the overemployed), there is a significant group who would like to work longer hours (the underemployed). And contrary to the assumption that the self-employed are more easily able than employees to select a desired combination of hours and the wage rate, this paper finds that older self-employed workers are more likely to wish to adjust their hours, both upward and downward than are employees. A new index of underemployment is used to show that for the UK, since the onset of the Great Recession, underemployment among older workers has been growing more rapidly than unemployment. Using longitudinal data from the UK Labour Force Survey, the paper investigates the effects of overemployment and underemployment on transitions from employment and self-employment into other labour market states. It confirms that overemployment is a significant predictor of retirement among employees while underemployed employees are less likely to retire.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joanna Lahey, 2006.
"State Age Protection Laws and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act,"
Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College
wp2006-24, Center for Retirement Research, revised Nov 2006.
- Joanna Lahey, 2008. "State Age Protection Laws and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 433-460, 08.
- Joanna Lahey, 2006. "State Age Protection Laws and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act," NBER Working Papers 12048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Åstebro & Jing Chen & Peter Thompson, 2011.
"Stars and Misfits: Self-Employment and Labor Market Frictions,"
INFORMS, vol. 57(11), pages 1999-2017, November.
- Thomas Astebro & Jing Chen & Peter Thompson, 2010. "Stars and Misfits: Self-Employment and Labor Market Frictions," Working Papers 1003, Florida International University, Department of Economics.
- Gielen, Anne C., 2007.
"Working Hours Flexibility and Older Workers' Labor Supply,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2946, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Anne C. Gielen, 2009. "Working hours flexibility and older workers' labor supply," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 240-274, April.
- Gielen, A. C., 2007. "Working Hours Flexibility and Older Workers' Labor Supply," Discussion Paper 2007-49, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1998.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 26-60, January.
- Lombard, Karen V, 2001. "Female Self-Employment and Demand for Flexible, Nonstandard Work Schedules," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 39(2), pages 214-37, April.
- David G. Blanchflower, 2000.
"Self-Employment in OECD Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
7486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adams, Scott J., 2004. "Age discrimination legislation and the employment of older workers," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 219-241, April.
- Eichhorst, Werner, 2011. "The Transition from Work to Retirement," IZA Discussion Papers 5490, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1980. "Self-Employment and Labor Force Participation of Older Males (Revised)," NBER Working Papers 0584, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricky Kanabar, 2013.
"Unretirement in England: An Empirical Perspective,"
13/25, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1982. "Self-Employment and Labor Force Participation of Older Males," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 17(3), pages 339-357.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7546. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.