Ethnic Discrimination in China's Internet Job Board Labor Market
We conduct a large‐scale field experiment to investigate how Chinese firms respond to job applications from ethnic minority and Han applicants for jobs posted on a large Chinese Internet job board. We denote ethnicity by means of names that are typically Han Chinese and distinctively Mongolian, Tibetan, and Uighur. We find significant differences in the callback rates by ethnicity and that these differences vary systematically across ethnic groups. Not all firms discriminate – approximately half treat all candidates equally. State-owned firms are significantly less likely than privately‐owned firms to discriminate against minorities by calling only candidates with Han names and much more likely to treat candidates equally.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: IZA Journal of Migration, 2012, 1:12|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlsson, Magnus & Rooth, Dan-Olof, 2006.
"Evidence of Ethnic Discrimination in the Swedish Labor Market Using Experimental Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2281, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carlsson, Magnus & Rooth, Dan-Olof, 2007. "Evidence of ethnic discrimination in the Swedish labor market using experimental data," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 716-729, August.
- Leo Kaas & Christian Manger, 2012.
"Ethnic Discrimination in Germany's Labour Market: A Field Experiment,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 13(1), pages 1-20, 02.
- Kaas, Leo & Manger, Christian, 2010. "Ethnic Discrimination in Germany's Labour Market: A Field Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 4741, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Margaret Maurer-Fazio & James W. Hughes & Dandan Zhang, 2010.
"A comparison and decomposition of reform-era labor force participation rates of China's ethnic minorities and Han majority,"
International Journal of Manpower,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(2), pages 138-162, May.
- Maurer-Fazio, Margaret & Hughes, James W. & Zhang, Dandan, 2009. "A Comparison and Decomposition of Reform-Era Labor Force Participation Rates of China's Ethnic Minorities and Han Majority," IZA Discussion Papers 4148, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Siddique, Zahra, 2008. "Caste Based Discrimination: Evidence and Policy," IZA Discussion Papers 3737, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Emily Hannum & Yu Xie, 1998. "Ethnic stratification in Northwest China: Occupational differences between Han Chinese and national minorities in Xinjiang, 1982–1990," Demography, Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 35(3), pages 323-333, August.
- Peter Kuhn & Kailing Shen, 2009. "Employers' Preferences for Gender, Age, Height and Beauty: Direct Evidence," NBER Working Papers 15564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Margaret Maurer-Fazio & James Hughes & Dandan Zhang, 2007. "An Ocean formed from one hundred rivers: the effects of ethnicity, gender, marriage, and location on labor force participation in urban China," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3-4), pages 159-187.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6903. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.