Is Caste Destiny? Occupational Diversification among Dalits in Rural India
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Ira N. Gang & Kunal Sen & Myeong-Su Yun, 2017. "Is Caste Destiny? Occupational Diversification among Dalits in Rural India," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan;European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), vol. 29(2), pages 476-492, April.
- Ira Gang & Kunal Sen & Myeong-Su Yun, 2012. "Is caste destiny? Occupational diversification among Dalits in rural India," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 16212, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Ira Gang & Kunal Sen & Myeong Su Yun, 2012. "Is Caste Destiny? Occupational Diversification among Dalits in Rural India," Working Papers id:4769, eSocialSciences.
References listed on IDEAS
- Stefan Dercon & Pramila Krishnan, 1996.
"Income portfolios in rural Ethiopia and Tanzania: Choices and constraints,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(6), pages 850-875.
- Pramila Krishnan & Stefan Dercon, 1995. "Income portfolios in rural Ethiopia and Tanzania: choices and constraints," CSAE Working Paper Series 1995-12, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Ashwini Deshpande, 2001. "Caste at Birth? Redefining Disparity in India," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 130-144, February.
- Viktoria Hnatkovska & Amartya Lahiri & Sourabh B. Paul, 2013. "Breaking the Caste Barrier: Intergenerational Mobility in India," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 48(2), pages 435-473.
- Viktoria Hnatkovska & Amartya Lahiri & Sourabh Paul, 2012. "Castes and Labor Mobility," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 274-307, April.
- Vegard Iversen & Adriaan Kalwij & Arjan Verschoor & Amaresh Dubey, 2014.
"Caste Dominance and Economic Performance in Rural India,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(3), pages 423-457.
- Vegard Iversen & Adriaan Kalwij & Arjan Verschoor & Amaresh Dubey, 2010. "Caste dominance and economic performance in rural India," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 10-01, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- S. Mahendra Dev, 2008. "India," Chapters,in: Handbook on the South Asian Economies, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Kijima, Yoko, 2006. "Caste and Tribe Inequality: Evidence from India, 1983-1999," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(2), pages 369-404, January.
- Constant, Amelie F. & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2003.
"Occupational Choice Across Generations,"
IZA Discussion Papers
975, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Constant, Amelie & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 2004. "Occupational Choice Across Generations," CEPR Discussion Papers 4258, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Amelie Constant & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2004. "Occupational Choice across Generations," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 395, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ira N. Gang & Kunal Sen & Myeong-Su Yun, 2008. "Poverty In Rural India: Caste And Tribe," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(1), pages 50-70, March.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Somanathan, Rohini, 2007.
"The political economy of public goods: Some evidence from India,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 287-314, March.
- Abhijit Banerjee & Rohini Somanathan, 2004. "The political economy of public goods: Some evidence from India," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 04-17, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Rohini Pande, 2003. "Can Mandated Political Representation Increase Policy Influence for Disadvantaged Minorities? Theory and Evidence from India," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1132-1151, September.
- Peter Lanjouw & Rinku Murgai, 2009.
"Poverty decline, agricultural wages, and nonfarm employment in rural India: 1983-2004,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(2), pages 243-263, March.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Murgai, Rinku, 2009. "Poverty decline, agricultural wages, and non-farm employment in rural India : 1983-2004," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4858, The World Bank.
- Vani K. Borooah, 2005. "Caste, Inequality, and Poverty in India," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 399-414, August.
- Ralitza Dimova & Kunal Sen, 2010. "Is household income diversification a means of survival or a means of accumulation? Panel data evidence from Tanzania," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 12210, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Siwan Anderson, 2011. "Caste as an Impediment to Trade," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 239-263, January.
- Siddique, Zahra, 2011. "Evidence on Caste Based Discrimination," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(S1), pages 146-159.
- Alessandro Tarozzi, 2002. "Estimating Comparable Poverty Counts from Incomparable Surveys: Measuring Poverty in India," Working Papers 186, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Abowd, John M & Killingsworth, Mark R, 1984. "Do Minority-White Unemployment Differences Really Exist?," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(1), pages 64-72, January.
- Richard Palmer-Jones & Kunal Sen, 2003. "What has luck got to do with it? A regional analysis of poverty and agricultural growth in rural India," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(1), pages 1-31.
- Francine D. Blau & Wallace E. Hendricks, 1979. "Occupational Segregation by Sex: Trends and Prospects," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 14(2), pages 197-210.
More about this item
Keywordspoverty; occupational diversification; caste; India;
- O12 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- J15 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Minorities, Races, Indigenous Peoples, and Immigrants; Non-labor Discrimination
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6295. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak). General contact details of provider: http://www.iza.org .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.