Economic and Spatial Determinants of Interregional Migration in Kazakhstan
In this paper we analyze economic and spatial determinants of interregional migration in Kazakhstan using quarterly panel data on region to region migration in 2008-2010. In line with traditional economic theory we find that migration is determined by economic factors, first of all income: People are more likely to leave regions where incomes are low and more likely to move to regions with a higher income level. As predicted by gravity arguments, mobility is larger between more populated regions. Furthermore, distance has a strong negative impact on migration, indicating high migration related costs and risks. Assuming that high migration costs are caused by poor infrastructure, investments in public and social infrastructure should facilitate regional income convergence in Kazakhstan and improve living standards in depressed regions.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Economic Systems, 2014, 38 (3) 379-396|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy J. Hatton & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2002.
"What Fundamentals Drive World Migration?,"
NBER Working Papers
9159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hatton, Timothy J. & Williamson, Jeffrey G, 2002. "What Fundamentals Drive World Migration?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3559, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Timothy Hatton & Jeffery Williamson, 2002. "What Fundamentals Drive World Migration?," CEPR Discussion Papers 458, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Hatton, Timothy J. & Williamson, Jeffrey G., 2003. "What Fundamentals Drive World Migration?," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- John C. Driscoll & Aart C. Kraay, 1998. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation With Spatially Dependent Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 549-560, November.
- Kazuhiro KUMO, 2007.
"Inter-regional Population Migration in Russia: Using an Origin-to-Destination Matrix,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 131-152.
- Kumo, Kazuhiro, 2006. "Interregional Population Migration in Russia: Using an Origin-to-Destination Matrix," Discussion Paper Series a483, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- William Dillinger, 2007. "Poverty and Regional Development in Eastern Europe and Central Asia," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6739, April.
- Brian Cushing & Jacques Poot, 2003.
"Crossing boundaries and borders: Regional science advances in migration modelling,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 317-338, October.
- Brian Cushing & Jacques Poot, 2003. "Crossing boundaries and borders: Regional science advances in migration modelling," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 83(1), pages 317-338, October.
- Mihails Hazans, 2003.
"Determinants of Inter-Regional Migration in the Baltic Countries,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p354, European Regional Science Association.
- Hazans, Mihails, 2003. "Determinants of inter-regional migration in the Baltic countries," ZEI Working Papers B 17-2003, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- Everett Lee, 1966. "A theory of migration," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 3(1), pages 47-57, March.
- Pissarides, Christopher A & McMaster, Ian, 1990. "Regional Migration, Wages and Unemployment: Empirical Evidence and Implications for Policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 812-31, October.
- Decressin, Jörg & Fatás, Antonio, 1994.
"Regional Labour Market Dynamics in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1085, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yuri Andrienko & Sergei Guriev, 2003.
"Determinants of Interregional Mobility in Russia: Evidence from Panel Data,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
551, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Andrienko, Yuri & Guriev, Sergei, 2003. "Determinants of Interregional Mobility in Russia: Evidence from Panel Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 3835, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yuri Andrienko & Sergei Guriev, 2003. "Determinants of interregional mobility in Russia: evidence from panel data," Working Papers w0027, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Chiara Bentivogli & Patrizio Pagano, 1999. "Regional Disparities and Labour Mobility: the Euro-11 versus the USA," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 13(3), pages 737-760, 09.
- Daveri, Francesco & Faini, Riccardo, 1999.
"Where Do Migrants Go?,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 51(4), pages 595-622, October.
- Jan Fidrmuc, 2002.
"Migration and regional adjustment to asymmetric shocks in transition economies,"
CPB Discussion Paper
7, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Fidrmuc, Jan, 2004. "Migration and regional adjustment to asymmetric shocks in transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 230-247, June.
- Fidrmuc, Jan, 2003. "Migration and Regional Adjustment to Asymmetric Shocks in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 3798, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boris Najman & Richard Pomfret & Gael Raballand, 2007. "The Economics and Politics of Oil in the Caspian Basin," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00266724, HAL.
- Serge Coulombe, 2006. "Internal Migration, Asymmetric Shocks, and Interprovincial Economic Adjustments in Canada," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 29(2), pages 199-223, April.
- Lewer, Joshua J. & Van den Berg, Hendrik, 2008. "A gravity model of immigration," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 164-167, April.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014.
"A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Francesco Pastore (ed.), 2010. "The Labour Market Impact of the EU Enlargement. A New Regional Geography of Europe?," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro, number 04.
- Faini, Riccardo & Venturini, Alessandra, 1994. "Migration and Growth: The Experience of Southern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 964, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Etzo, Ivan, 2008. "Internal migration: a review of the literature," MPRA Paper 8783, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Becker, Charles M. & Musabek, Erbolat N. & Seitenova, Ai-Gul S. & Urzhumova, Dina S., 2005. "The migration response to economic shock: lessons from Kazakhstan," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 107-132, March.
- Anderson, Kathryn & Pomfret, Richard, 2004. "Spatial Inequality and Development in Central Asia," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Lall, Somik V. & Selod, Harris & Shalizi, Zmarak, 2006. "Rural-urban migration in developing countries : a survey of theoretical predictions and empirical findings," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3915, The World Bank.
- Daniel Hoechle, 2007. "Robust standard errors for panel regressions with cross-sectional dependence," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(3), pages 281-312, September.
- Stefano Fachin, 2005.
"Long-Run Trends in Internal Migrations in Italy: a Study in Panel Cointegration with Dependent Units,"
- Stefano Fachin, 2007. "Long-run trends in internal migrations in italy: a study in panel cointegration with dependent units," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 401-428.
- Sergei Guriev & Elena Vakulenko, 2012. "Convergence between Russian regions," Working Papers w0180, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Larry Long, 1991. "Residential Mobility Differences among Developed Countries," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 14(2), pages 133-147, August.
- Romano Piras, 2010.
"Internal Migration Across Italian regions: Macroeconomic Determinants and Accommodating Potential for a Dualistic Economy,"
2010.115, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Romano Piras, 2012. "Internal Migration Across Italian Regions: Macroeconomic Determinants And Accommodating Potential For A Dualistic Economy," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 80(4), pages 499-524, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6289. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.