Economic and Spatial Determinants of Interregional Migration in Kazakhstan
In this paper we analyze economic and spatial determinants of interregional migration in Kazakhstan using quarterly panel data on region to region migration in 2008-2010. In line with traditional economic theory we find that migration is determined by economic factors, first of all income: People are more likely to leave regions where incomes are low and more likely to move to regions with a higher income level. As predicted by gravity arguments, mobility is larger between more populated regions. Furthermore, distance has a strong negative impact on migration, indicating high migration related costs and risks. Assuming that high migration costs are caused by poor infrastructure, investments in public and social infrastructure should facilitate regional income convergence in Kazakhstan and improve living standards in depressed regions.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romano Piras, 2012.
"Internal Migration Across Italian Regions: Macroeconomic Determinants And Accommodating Potential For A Dualistic Economy,"
University of Manchester, vol. 80(4), pages 499-524, 07.
- Romano Piras, 2010. "Internal Migration Across Italian regions: Macroeconomic Determinants and Accommodating Potential for a Dualistic Economy," Working Papers 2010.115, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Fidrmuc, Jan, 2004.
"Migration and regional adjustment to asymmetric shocks in transition economies,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 230-247, June.
- Fidrmuc, Jan, 2003. "Migration and Regional Adjustment to Asymmetric Shocks in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 3798, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan Fidrmuc, 2002. "Migration and regional adjustment to asymmetric shocks in transition economies," CPB Discussion Paper 7, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Chiara Bentivogli & Patrizio Pagano, 1999. "Regional Disparities and Labour Mobility: the Euro-11 versus the USA," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 13(3), pages 737-760, 09.
- Serge Coulombe, 2006. "Internal Migration, Asymmetric Shocks, and Interprovincial Economic Adjustments in Canada," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 29(2), pages 199-223, April.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Francesco Pastore (ed.), 2010. "The Labour Market Impact of the EU Enlargement. A New Regional Geography of Europe?," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro, number 04.
- Hatton, Timothy J. & Williamson, Jeffrey G, 2002.
"What Fundamentals Drive World Migration?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3559, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Timothy Hatton & Jeffery Williamson, 2002. "What Fundamentals Drive World Migration?," CEPR Discussion Papers 458, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Hatton, Timothy J. & Williamson, Jeffrey G., 2003. "What Fundamentals Drive World Migration?," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Timothy J. Hatton & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2002. "What Fundamentals Drive World Migration?," NBER Working Papers 9159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Daveri & Riccardo Faini, .
"Where do migrants go?,"
124, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Anderson, Kathryn & Pomfret, Richard, 2004. "Spatial Inequality and Development in Central Asia," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Etzo, Ivan, 2008. "Internal migration: a review of the literature," MPRA Paper 8783, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hazans, Mihails, 2003.
"Determinants of inter-regional migration in the Baltic countries,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 17-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Mihails Hazans, 2003. "Determinants of Inter-Regional Migration in the Baltic Countries," ERSA conference papers ersa03p354, European Regional Science Association.
- Sergei Guriev & Elena Vakulenko, 2012. "Convergence between Russian regions," Working Papers w0180, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Larry Long, 1991. "Residential Mobility Differences among Developed Countries," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 14(2), pages 133-147, August.
- Lall, Somik V. & Selod, Harris & Shalizi, Zmarak, 2006. "Rural-urban migration in developing countries : a survey of theoretical predictions and empirical findings," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3915, The World Bank.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brian Cushing & Jacques Poot, 2003.
"Crossing boundaries and borders: Regional science advances in migration modelling,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 317-338, October.
- Brian Cushing & Jacques Poot, 2003. "Crossing boundaries and borders: Regional science advances in migration modelling," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 317-338, October.
- Pissarides, Christopher A & McMaster, Ian, 1990. "Regional Migration, Wages and Unemployment: Empirical Evidence and Implications for Policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 812-31, October.
- William Dillinger, 2007. "Poverty and Regional Development in Eastern Europe and Central Asia," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6739.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- Decressin, Jorg & Fatas, Antonio, 1995.
"Regional labor market dynamics in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1627-1655, December.
- Stefano Fachin, 2005.
"Long-Run Trends in Internal Migrations in Italy: a Study in Panel Cointegration with Dependent Units,"
- Stefano Fachin, 2007. "Long-run trends in internal migrations in italy: a study in panel cointegration with dependent units," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 401-428.
- Everett Lee, 1966. "A theory of migration," Demography, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 47-57, March.
- Yuri Andrienko & Sergei Guriev, 2003.
"Determinants of Interregional Mobility in Russia: Evidence from Panel Data,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
551, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Andrienko, Yuri & Guriev, Sergei, 2003. "Determinants of Interregional Mobility in Russia: Evidence from Panel Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 3835, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yuri Andrienko & Sergei Guriev, 2003. "Determinants of interregional mobility in Russia: evidence from panel data," Working Papers w0027, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- John C. Driscoll & Aart C. Kraay, 1998. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation With Spatially Dependent Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 549-560, November.
- Becker, Charles M. & Musabek, Erbolat N. & Seitenova, Ai-Gul S. & Urzhumova, Dina S., 2005. "The migration response to economic shock: lessons from Kazakhstan," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 107-132, March.
- Faini, Riccardo & Venturini, Alessandra, 1994. "Migration and Growth: The Experience of Southern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 964, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daniel Hoechle, 2007. "Robust standard errors for panel regressions with cross-sectional dependence," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(3), pages 281-312, September.
- Lewer, Joshua J. & Van den Berg, Hendrik, 2008. "A gravity model of immigration," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 164-167, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6289. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.