Southwest as the New Internal Migration Destination in Turkey
Antalya and Muğla provinces located in southwestern Turkey have emerged as the new magnets for internal migration in the country. Characteristics of immigration from other provinces to these two are described, and analyzed in the context of the gravity model. The factors that affect the migration to Antalya and Muğla seem to be the same and their effects on the flows to each destination differ only slightly. Better job opportunities, especially in the hotel and restaurant services sector, appear as the main attraction fueling this migration. Surprisingly, the pleasant climates of the two provinces do not seem to matter.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Anderson, 2010.
"The Gravity Model,"
NBER Working Papers
16576, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ali GÖKHAN & Alpay FILIZTEKIN, . "The Determinants of Internal Migration In Turkey," EcoMod2008 23800044, EcoMod.
- Zaman, Asad & Rousseeuw, Peter J. & Orhan, Mehmet, 2001.
"Econometric applications of high-breakdown robust regression techniques,"
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 1-8, April.
- Zaman, Asad & Rousseeuw, Peter J. & Orhan, Mehmet, 2000. "Econometric applications of high-breakdown robust regression techniques," MPRA Paper 41529, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ivan Etzo, 2011. "The Determinants Of The Recent Interregional Migration Flows In Italy: A Panel Data Analysis," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(5), pages 948-966, December.
- Etzo, Ivan, 2008. "Internal migration: a review of the literature," MPRA Paper 8783, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yuri Andrienko & Sergei Guriev, 2004. "Determinants of interregional mobility in Russia," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(1), pages 1-27, 03.
- Phan, Diep & Coxhead, Ian, 2008.
"Interprovincial Migration and Inequality During Vietnam's Transition,"
Staff Paper Series
507, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Phan, Diep & Coxhead, Ian, 2010. "Inter-provincial migration and inequality during Vietnam's transition," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 100-112, January.
- Aldashev, Alisher & Dietz, Barbara, 2014.
"Economic and spatial determinants of interregional migration in Kazakhstan,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 379-396.
- Aldashev, Alisher & Dietz, Barbara, 2012. "Economic and Spatial Determinants of Interregional Migration in Kazakhstan," IZA Discussion Papers 6289, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael J. Greenwood & Gary L. Hunt, 2003. "The Early History Of Migration Research," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 26(1), pages 3-37, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6627. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.