Pollution Abatement and Control Expenditure in Romania: A Multilevel Analysis
The transition process in Central and Eastern Europe was associated with growing environmental awareness. This paper analyses the determinants of Pollution Abatement and Control Expenditure (PACE) at plant level in the case of Romania using survey data and a Multilevel Regression Model (MRM). Our findings suggest that, although Romania has improved its environmental performance, formal and informal regulation are still only partially developed due to the difficulties of economic transition, and heterogeneity across regions remains considerable.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as 'Improving Environmental Performance: A Challenge for Romania' in: Environmental and Resource Economics, 2014, 57 (3), 431-452|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. H. Coase, 2013. "The Problem of Social Cost," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56(4), pages 837 - 877.
- Shimshack, Jay P. & Ward, Michael B., 2007.
"Enforcement and over-compliance,"
25993, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jay P. Shimshack & Michael B. Ward, 2007. "Enforcement and Over-Compliance," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0706, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Delmas, Magali, 2003. "In Search of ISO: An Institutional Perspective on the Adoption of International Management Standards," Research Papers 1784, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Carlos Chávez & John Stranlund, 2009.
"A Note on Emissions Taxes and Incomplete Information,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 44(1), pages 137-144, September.
- Carlos A. Chavez & John K. Stranlund, 2008. "A Note on Emissions Taxes and Incomplete Information," Working Papers 2008-5, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Resource Economics.
- Fredriksson, Per G. & Neumayer, Eric & Damania, Richard & Gates, Scott, 2005.
"Environmentalism, democracy, and pollution control,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 343-365, March.
- Per G. Fredriksson & Eric Neumayer & Richard Damania & Scott Gates, 2005. "Environmentalism, democracy, and pollution control," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 630, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Fredriksson, Per G. & Wollscheid, Jim R., 2008. "The political economy of investment: The case of pollution control technology," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 53-72, March.
- Seroa da Motta, Ronaldo, 2006. "Analyzing the environmental performance of the Brazilian industrial sector," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 269-281, May.
- Eric Neumayer & Richard Perkins, 2004. "What explains the uneven take-up of ISO 14001 at the global level? A panel-data analysis," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 36(5), pages 823-839, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp5041. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.