Assessing the Efficiency of an Insurance Provider—A Measurement Error Approach
The purpose of this paper is to compare the cost efficiency of private and public property insurance providers in Switzerland. The most commonly used measure for this kind of exercise is the claims-premium ratio. We argue that this measure may give strongly biased results. We develop a simple model to test whether the elasticity of premiums with respect to claims is less than unity. We address the fact that premium income is relatively stable across time, while claims are not, using estimation techniques that correct for measurement error. We develop tools to cope with heteroskedasticity in such measurement errors and apply the model to a data set on 19 firms in housing insurance markets in Switzerland. We show that the public insurance providers are about 20% more cost efficient than their private counterparts. Copyright The Geneva Association 2005
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meijer, Erik & Wansbeek, Tom, 2000. "Measurement error in a single regressor," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 277-284, December.
- von Ungern-Sternberg, Thomas, 2004. "Efficient Monopolies: The Limits of Competition in the European Property Insurance Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199268818, March.
- Ramses H. Abul Naga, 2001.
"Galtonian Regression of Intergenerational Income Linkages: Biased Procedures, a New Estimator and Mean-Square Error Comparisons,"
STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers
53, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Ramses H. Abul Naga, 2001. "Galtonian regression of intergenerational income linkages: biased procedures, a new estimator and mean-square error comparisons," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6564, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ramses H. ABUL NAGA, 2000. "Galtonian Regression of Intergenerational Income Linkages : Biased Procedures, a New Estimator and Mean-Square Error Comparisons," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 00.13, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Thomas VON UNGERN-STERNBERG, 1994. "Die kantonalen Gebäudeversicherungen. Eine ökonomische Analyse," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9405, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Zvi Griliches & Jerry A. Hausman, 1984.
"Errors in Variables in Panel Data,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0037, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Felder, Stefan, 1996. "Fire insurance in Germany: A comparison of price-performance between state monopolies and competitive regions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1133-1141, April.
- Thomas VON UNGERN-STERNBERG, 1995. "Kritische Überlegungen zu dem Gutachten von Professor Schips über die kantonalen Gebäudeversicherungsmonopole," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9502, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Epple, Karl & Schafer, Reinhard, 1996. "The transition from monopoly to competition: The case of housing insurance in Baden-Wurttemberg," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1123-1131, April.
- Meijer, E. & Wansbeek, T., 2000. "Measurement error in a single regressor," Research Report 00F14, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:geneva:v:30:y:2005:i:1:p:15-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.