Assessing the Efficiency of an Insurance Provider—A Measurement Error Approach
The purpose of this paper is to compare the cost efficiency of private and public property insurance providers in Switzerland. The most commonly used measure for this kind of exercise is the claims-premium ratio. We argue that this measure may give strongly biased results. We develop a simple model to test whether the elasticity of premiums with respect to claims is less than unity. We address the fact that premium income is relatively stable across time, while claims are not, using estimation techniques that correct for measurement error. We develop tools to cope with heteroskedasticity in such measurement errors and apply the model to a data set on 19 firms in housing insurance markets in Switzerland. We show that the public insurance providers are about 20% more cost efficient than their private counterparts. The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review (2005) 30, 15–34. doi:10.1007/s10836-005-1105-4
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 30 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
Postal:Route de Malagnou 53, CH - 1208 Geneva
Phone: +41-22 707 66 00
Fax: +41-22 736 75 36
Web page: https://www.genevaassociation.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/journal/10713|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramses H. Abul Naga, 2001.
"Galtonian Regression of Intergenerational Income Linkages: Biased Procedures, a New Estimator and Mean-Square Error Comparisons,"
STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers
53, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Ramses H. ABUL NAGA, 2000. "Galtonian Regression of Intergenerational Income Linkages : Biased Procedures, a New Estimator and Mean-Square Error Comparisons," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 00.13, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Ramses H. Abul Naga, 2001. "Galtonian regression of intergenerational income linkages: biased procedures, a new estimator and mean-square error comparisons," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6564, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- von Ungern-Sternberg, Thomas, 2004. "Efficient Monopolies: The Limits of Competition in the European Property Insurance Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199268818, December.
- Meijer, E. & Wansbeek, T., 2000.
"Measurement error in a single regressor,"
00F14, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Epple, Karl & Schafer, Reinhard, 1996. "The transition from monopoly to competition: The case of housing insurance in Baden-Wurttemberg," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1123-1131, April.
- Griliches, Zvi & Hausman, Jerry A., 1986.
"Errors in variables in panel data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 93-118, February.
- repec:dgr:rugsom:00f14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas VON UNGERN-STERNBERG, 1995. "Kritische Überlegungen zu dem Gutachten von Professor Schips über die kantonalen Gebäudeversicherungsmonopole," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9502, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Felder, Stefan, 1996. "Fire insurance in Germany: A comparison of price-performance between state monopolies and competitive regions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1133-1141, April.
- Thomas VON UNGERN-STERNBERG, 1994. "Die kantonalen Gebäudeversicherungen. Eine ökonomische Analyse," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9405, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:genrir:v:30:y:2005:i:1:p:15-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.