How Successful Have Trade Unions Been? A Utility-Based Indicator of Union Well-Being
Can conventional economic analysis help in defining and measuring the success of labor unions? In this paper, a general indicator of union welfare is proposed and particular expressions for the wage and employment objectives of unions are rearranged to derive measures of union success or welfare. These indicators combine two measures: union density and the relative union-nonunion wage gap. The indicators are applied to describe the movement of union welfare in the United States over the past eighty years, the differences in union success among groups of U.S. workers, and the variation in union well-being across countries.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2009, 62 (2), 47-156.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Orley Ashenfelter, 1971.
"Racial Discrimination and Trade Unionism,"
390, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Pencavel, John & Hartsog, Catherine E, 1984. "A Reconsideration of the Effects of Unionism on Relative Wages and Employment in the United States, 1920-1980," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(2), pages 193-232, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521464673 is not listed on IDEAS
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1985. " The Economic Theory of Trade Unions: An Introductory Survey," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 160-93.
- Brown, James N & Ashenfelter, Orley, 1986.
"Testing the Efficiency of Employment Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages S40-S87, June.
- C. Bowdler & L. Nunziata, 2007.
"Trade Union Density and Inflation Performance: Evidence from OECD Panel Data,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(293), pages 135-159, 02.
- Christopher Bowdler & Luca Nunziata, 2005. "Trade union density and inflation performance: evidence from OECD panel data," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0009, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, March.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, March.
- Rees, Albert, 1989. "The Economics of Trade Unions," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226707105.
- Johnson, George E, 1985. " The Economic Theory of Trade Unions-An Introductory Survey: Comment," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 194-96.
- Dertouzos, James N & Pencavel, John H, 1981. "Wage and Employment Determination under Trade Unionism: The International Typographical Union," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1162-81, December.
- Farber, Henry S, 1978. "Individual Preferences and Union Wage Determination: The Case of the United Mine Workers," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 923-42, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp3660. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.