Sequential decisions in the Diamond-Dybvig banking model
We study the Diamond-Dybvig model of financial intermediation (JPE, 1983) under theassumption that depositors have information about previous decisions. Depositors decidesequentially whether to withdraw their funds or continue holding them in the bank. If depositorsobserve the history of all previous decisions, we show that there are no bank runs in equilibriumindependently of whether the realized type vector selected by nature is of perfect or imperfectinformation.JEL classification numbers:
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Naohiko Baba & Robert N McCauley & Srichander Ramaswamy, 2009. "US dollar money market funds and non-US banks," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Huberto M. Ennis & Todd Keister, 2010. "On the fundamental reasons for bank fragility," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue 1Q, pages 33-58.
- Huberto M. Ennis & Todd Keister, 2007.
"Bank runs and institutions : the perils of intervention,"
07-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Huberto M. Ennis & Todd Keister, 2009. "Bank Runs and Institutions: The Perils of Intervention," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(4), pages 1588-1607, September.
- Gu, Chao, 2007.
"Herding and Bank Runs,"
07-15, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Peck, James & Shell, Karl, 2001.
"Equilibrium Bank Runs,"
01-10r, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521663465 is not listed on IDEAS
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Cormac O Grada & Morgan Kelly, 2000.
"Market Contagion: Evidence from the Panics of 1854 and 1857,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1110-1124, December.
- Kelly, M. & O'Grada, C., 1999. "Market Contagion: Evidence from the Panics of 1854 and 1857," Papers 99/19, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Garratt, Rod & Keister, Todd, 2009. "Bank runs as coordination failures: An experimental study," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 300-317, August.
- Martha A. Starr & Rasim Yilmaz, 2006.
"Bank Runs in Emerging-Market Economies: Evidence from Turkey’s Special Finance Houses,"
2006-08, American University, Department of Economics.
- Martha A. Starr & Rasim Yilmaz, 2007. "Bank Runs in Emerging-Market Economies: Evidence from Turkey's Special Finance Houses," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 1112–1132, April.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414, June.
- David Andolfatto & Ed Nosal & Neil Wallace, 2006.
"The role of independence in the Green-Lin Diamond-Dybvig model,"
0615, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Andolfatto, David & Nosal, Ed & Wallace, Neil, 2007. "The role of independence in the Green-Lin Diamond-Dybvig model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 709-715, November.
- Schotter, Andrew & Yorulmazer, Tanju, 2009. "On the dynamics and severity of bank runs: An experimental study," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 217-241, April.
- Alfonso Rosa García & Hubert Janos Kiss & Ismael Rodríguez Lara, 2011.
"On the effects of deposit insurance and observability on bank runs: an experimental study,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2011-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Hubert Janos Kiss & Ismael Rodriguez‐Lara & Alfonso Rosa‐García, 2012. "On the Effects of Deposit Insurance and Observability on Bank Runs: An Experimental Study," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44(8), pages 1651-1665, December.
- Hubert Janoss Kiss & Ismael Rodriguez Lara & Alfonso Rosa Garcia, 2011. "On the Effects of Deposit Insurance and Observability on Bank Runs: An Experimental Study," Discussion Papers in Economic Behaviour 0211, University of Valencia, ERI-CES.
- Todd Keister & Huberto Ennis, 2012. "Optimal banking contracts and financial fragility," 2012 Meeting Papers 179, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Huberto M. Ennis & Todd Keister, 2003.
"Economic growth, liquidity, and bank runs,"
03-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Rajkamal Iyer & Manju Puri, 2012. "Understanding Bank Runs: The Importance of Depositor-Bank Relationships and Networks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(4), pages 1414-45, June.
- Ennis, Huberto M. & Keister, Todd, 2009. "Run equilibria in the Green-Lin model of financial intermediation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 144(5), pages 1996-2020, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2012-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.