Instrumental Regression in Partially Linear Models
We consider the semiparametric regression Xtβ+φ(Z) where β and φ(·) are unknown slope coefficient vector and function, and where the variables (X,Z) are endogeneous. We propose necessary and sufficient conditions for the identification of the parameters in the presence of instrumental variables. We also focus on the estimation of β. An incorrect parameterization of φ may generally lead to an inconsistent estimator of β, whereas even consistent nonparametric estimators for φ imply a slow rate of convergence of the estimator of β. An additional complication is that the solution of the equation necessitates the inversion of a compact operator that has to be estimated nonparametrically. In general this inversion is not stable, thus the estimation of β is ill-posed. In this paper, a √n-consistent estimator for β is derived under mild assumptions. One of these assumptions is given by the so-called source condition that is explicitly interprated in the paper. Finally we show that the estimator achieves the semiparametric efficiency bound, even if the model is heteroscedastic. Monte Carlo simulations demonstrate the reasonable performance of the estimation procedure on finite samples.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1987. "Asymptotic efficiency in estimation with conditional moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 305-334, March.
- Richard Blundell & Xiaohong Chen & Dennis Kristensen, 2003. "Nonparametric IV estimation of shape-invariant Engel curves," CeMMAP working papers CWP15/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Chunrong Ai & Xiaohong Chen, 2003. "Efficient Estimation of Models with Conditional Moment Restrictions Containing Unknown Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1795-1843, November.
- Hardle, Wolfgang & LIang, Hua & Gao, Jiti, 2000. "Partially linear models," MPRA Paper 39562, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003.
"Estimation of semiparametric models when the criterion function is not smooth,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2167, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003. "Estimation of Semiparametric Models when the Criterion Function Is Not Smooth," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1591-1608, 09.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingred Van Keilegom, 2002. "Estimation of semiparametric models when the criterion function is not smooth," CeMMAP working papers CWP02/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003. "Estimation of Semiparametric Models when the Criterion Function is not Smooth," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 450, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Asymptotic Normality of Series Estimators for Nonparametric and Semiparametric Regression Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 307-45, March.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Asymptotic Normality of Series Estimators for Nonparametric and Semiparametric Regression Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 874R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised May 1989.
- Richard Blundell & Joel Horowitz, 2004.
"A nonparametric test of exogeneity,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP15/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Newey, W.K., 1989.
"Efficient Instrumental Variables Estimation Of Nonlinear Models,"
341, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1990. "Efficient Instrumental Variables Estimation of Nonlinear Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 809-37, July.
- repec:cep:stiecm:/2003/450 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521355643 is not listed on IDEAS
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell, 2003. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1565-1578, 09.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521586115 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:22798. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.