Estimation of Nonparametric Conditional Moment Models with Possibly Nonsmooth Moments
This paper studies nonparametric estimation of conditional moment models in which the residual functions could be nonsmooth with respect to the unknown functions of endogenous variables. It is a problem of nonparametric nonlinear instrumental variables (IV) estimation, and a difficult nonlinear ill-posed inverse problem with an unknown operator. We first propose a penalized sieve minimum distance (SMD) estimator of the unknown functions that are identified via the conditional moment models. We then establish its consistency and convergence rate (in strong metric), allowing for possibly non-compact function parameter spaces, possibly non-compact finite or infinite dimensional sieves with flexible lower semicompact or convex penalty, or finite dimensional linear sieves without penalty. Under relatively low-level sufficient conditions, and for both mildly and severely ill-posed problems, we show that the convergence rates for the nonlinear ill-posed inverse problems coincide with the known minimax optimal rates for the nonparametric mean IV regression. We illustrate the theory by two important applications: root-n asymptotic normality of the plug-in penalized SMD estimator of a weighted average derivative of a nonparametric nonlinear IV regression, and the convergence rate of a nonparametric additive quantile IV regression. We also present a simulation study and an empirical estimation of a system of nonparametric quantile IV Engel curves.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 8268, New Haven CT 06520-8268|
Phone: (203) 432-3576
Fax: (203) 432-5779
Web page: http://www.econ.yale.edu/ddp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xiaohong Chen & Sydney C. Ludvigson, 2004. "Land of Addicts? An Empirical Investigation of Habit-Based Asset Pricing Behavior," NBER Working Papers 10503, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xiaohong Chen & Demian Pouzo, 2008. "Efficient estimation of semiparametric conditional moment models with possibly nonsmooth residuals," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Joel Horowitz & Sokbae Lee, 2006.
"Nonparametric instrumental variables estimation of a quantile regression model,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP09/06, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Joel L. Horowitz & Sokbae Lee, 2007. "Nonparametric Instrumental Variables Estimation of a Quantile Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(4), pages 1191-1208, 07.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Reiss, Markus, 2011.
"On Rate Optimality For Ill-Posed Inverse Problems In Econometrics,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 497-521, June.
- Xiaohong Chen & Markus Reiss, 2007. "On Rate Optimality for Ill-posed Inverse Problems in Econometrics," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1626, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Xiaohong Chen & Markus Reiss, 2007. "On rate optimality for ill-posed inverse problems in econometrics," CeMMAP working papers CWP20/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Andrews, Donald W.K., 1995. "Nonparametric Kernel Estimation for Semiparametric Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 560-586, June.
- Chen, Xiaohong, 2007. "Large Sample Sieve Estimation of Semi-Nonparametric Models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 76 Elsevier.
- Florens, Jean-Pierre & Johannes, Jan & Van Bellegem, Sébastien, 2009.
"Identification and Estimation by Penalization in Nonparametric Instrumental Regression,"
TSE Working Papers
09-076, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Florens, Jean-Pierre & Johannes, Jan & Van Bellegem, Sébastien, 2011. "Identification And Estimation By Penalization In Nonparametric Instrumental Regression," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 472-496, June.
- FLORENS, Jean-Pierre & JOHANNES, Jan & VAN BELLEGEM, Sébastien, 2007. "Identification and estimation by penalization in nonparametric instrumental regression," CORE Discussion Papers 2007085, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Newey, Whitney K., 1997. "Convergence rates and asymptotic normality for series estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 147-168, July.
- Ai, Chunrong & Chen, Xiaohong, 2007. "Estimation of possibly misspecified semiparametric conditional moment restriction models with different conditioning variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 5-43, November.
- Andrew Chesher, 2003. "Identification in Nonseparable Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1405-1441, 09.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell, 2003. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1565-1578, 09.
- Bissantz, Nicolai & Hohage, T. & Munk, Axel & Ruymgaart, F., 2007. "Convergence rates of general regularization methods for statistical inverse problems and applications," Technical Reports 2007,04, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Newey, W.K., 1989.
"Uniform Convergence In Probability And Stochastic Equicontinuity,"
342, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1991. "Uniform Convergence in Probability and Stochastic Equicontinuity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 1161-1167, July.
- Matzkin, Rosa L., 2007. "Nonparametric identification," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 73 Elsevier.
- Chunrong Ai & Xiaohong Chen, 2003. "Efficient Estimation of Models with Conditional Moment Restrictions Containing Unknown Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1795-1843, November.
- Severini, Thomas A. & Tripathi, Gautam, 2006.
"Some Identification Issues In Nonparametric Linear Models With Endogenous Regressors,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 258-278, April.
- Thomas A. Severini & Gautam Tripathi, 2005. "Some Identification Issues in Nonparametric Linear Models with Endogenous Regressors," Working papers 2005-12, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Gagliardini, Patrick & Scaillet, Olivier, 2012. "Tikhonov regularization for nonparametric instrumental variable estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 61-75.
- Xiaohong Chen & Demian Pouzo, 2008. "Efficient Estimation of Semiparametric Conditional Moment Models with Possibly Nonsmooth Residuals," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1640R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 2009.
- Chernozhukov, Victor & Imbens, Guido W. & Newey, Whitney K., 2007. "Instrumental variable estimation of nonseparable models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 4-14, July.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Pouzo, Demian, 2008. "Efficient Estimation of Semiparametric Conditional Moment Models with Possibly Nonsmooth Residuals," Working Papers 38, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Patrick Gagliardini & Olivier Scaillet, 2006. "Nonparametric Instrumental Variable Estimators of Structural Quantile Effects," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 08-03, Swiss Finance Institute, revised Aug 2009.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Christian Hansen, 2005. "An IV Model of Quantile Treatment Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(1), pages 245-261, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecl:yaleco:47. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.