Estimation of Nonparametric Conditional Moment Models With Possibly Nonsmooth Generalized Residuals
This paper studies nonparametric estimation of conditional moment models in which the generalized residual functions can be nonsmooth in the unknown functions of endogenous variables. This is a nonparametric nonlinear instrumental variables (IV) problem. We propose a class of penalized sieve minimum distance (PSMD) estimators which are minimizers of a penalized empirical minimum distance criterion over a collection of sieve spaces that are dense in the infinite dimensional function parameter space. Some of the PSMD procedures use slowly growing finite dimensional sieves with flexible penalties or without any penalty; some use large dimensional sieves with lower semicompact and/or convex penalties. We establish their consistency and the convergence rates in Banach space norms (such as a sup-norm or a root mean squared norm), allowing for possibly non-compact infinite dimensional parameter spaces. For both mildly and severely ill-posed nonlinear inverse problems, our convergence rates in Hilbert space norms (such as a root mean squared norm) achieve the known minimax optimal rate for the nonparametric mean IV regression. We illustrate the theory with a nonparametric additive quantile IV regression. We present a simulation study and an empirical application of estimating nonparametric quantile IV Engel curves.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2008|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, Whitney K., 1997. "Convergence rates and asymptotic normality for series estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 147-168, July.
- FLORENS, Jean-Pierre & JOHANNES, Jan & VAN BELLEGEM, Sébastien, 2007.
"Identification and estimation by penalization in nonparametric instrumental regression,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2007085, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Florens, Jean-Pierre & Johannes, Jan & Van Bellegem, Sébastien, 2011. "Identification And Estimation By Penalization In Nonparametric Instrumental Regression," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 472-496, June.
- Florens, Jean-Pierre & Johannes, Jan & Van Bellegem, Sébastien, 2009. "Identification and Estimation by Penalization in Nonparametric Instrumental Regression," TSE Working Papers 09-076, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Severini, Thomas A. & Tripathi, Gautam, 2006.
"Some Identification Issues In Nonparametric Linear Models With Endogenous Regressors,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 258-278, April.
- Thomas A. Severini & Gautam Tripathi, 2005. "Some Identification Issues in Nonparametric Linear Models with Endogenous Regressors," Working papers 2005-12, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Arellano, Cristina, 2008.
"Default risk and income fluctuations in emerging economies,"
7867, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cristina Arellano, 2008. "Default Risk and Income Fluctuations in Emerging Economies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 690-712, June.
- Xiaohong Chen & Markus Reiss, 2007.
"On rate optimality for ill-posed inverse problems in econometrics,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP20/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Reiss, Markus, 2011. "On Rate Optimality For Ill-Posed Inverse Problems In Econometrics," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 497-521, June.
- Xiaohong Chen & Markus Reiss, 2007. "On Rate Optimality for Ill-posed Inverse Problems in Econometrics," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1626, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Joel L. Horowitz & Sokbae Lee, 2007.
"Nonparametric Instrumental Variables Estimation of a Quantile Regression Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(4), pages 1191-1208, 07.
- Joel Horowitz & Sokbae 'Simon' Lee, 2006. "Nonparametric instrumental variables estimation of a quantile regression model," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/06, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Christian Hansen, 2005. "An IV Model of Quantile Treatment Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(1), pages 245-261, 01.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Pouzo, Demian, 2009. "Efficient estimation of semiparametric conditional moment models with possibly nonsmooth residuals," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(1), pages 46-60, September.
- Xiaohong Chen & Sydney C. Ludvigson, 2004. "Land of Addicts? An Empirical Investigation of Habit-Based Asset Pricing Behavior," NBER Working Papers 10503, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chernozhukov, Victor & Imbens, Guido W. & Newey, Whitney K., 2007. "Instrumental variable estimation of nonseparable models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 4-14, July.
- Matzkin, Rosa L., 2007. "Nonparametric identification," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 73 Elsevier.
- Chunrong Ai & Xiaohong Chen, 2003. "Efficient Estimation of Models with Conditional Moment Restrictions Containing Unknown Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1795-1843, November.
- Richard Blundell & Xiaohong Chen & Dennis Kristensen, 2003. "Nonparametric IV estimation of shape-invariant Engel curves," CeMMAP working papers CWP15/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell, 2003. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1565-1578, 09.
- Bissantz, Nicolai & Hohage, T. & Munk, Axel & Ruymgaart, F., 2007. "Convergence rates of general regularization methods for statistical inverse problems and applications," Technical Reports 2007,04, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:1650r. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.