Convergence rates of general regularization methods for statistical inverse problems and applications
During the past the convergence analysis for linear statistical inverse problems has mainly focused on spectral cut-off and Tikhonov type estimators. Spectral cut-off estimators achieve minimax rates for a broad range of smoothness classes and operators, but their practical usefulness is limited by the fact that they require a complete spectral decomposition of the operator. Tikhonov estimators are simpler to compute, but still involve the inversion of an operator and achieve minimax rates only in restricted smoothness classes. In this paper we introduce a unifying technique to study the mean square error of a large class of regularization methods (spectral methods) including the aforementioned estimators as well as many iterative methods, such as í-methods and the Landweber iteration. The latter estimators converge at the same rate as spectral cut-off, but only require matrixvector products. Our results are applied to various problems, in particular we obtain precise convergence rates for satellite gradiometry, L2-boosting, and errors in variable problems.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Vogelpothsweg 78, D-44221 Dortmund|
Phone: (0231) 755-3125
Fax: (0231) 755-5284
Web page: http://www.statistik.tu-dortmund.de/sfb475.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Healy, Dennis M. & Hendriks, Harrie & Kim, Peter T., 1998. "Spherical Deconvolution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-22, October.
- Kim, Peter T. & Koo, Ja-Yong, 2002. "Optimal Spherical Deconvolution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 21-42, January.
- Buhlmann P. & Yu B., 2003. "Boosting With the L2 Loss: Regression and Classification," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 324-339, January.
- Axel Munk, 2002. "Testing the Goodness of Fit of Parametric Regression Models with Random Toeplitz Forms," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 29(3), pages 501-533.
- Iain M. Johnstone & Gérard Kerkyacharian & Dominique Picard & Marc Raimondo, 2004. "Wavelet deconvolution in a periodic setting," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(3), pages 547-573.