Semiparametric Estimation of Nonseparable Models: A Minimum Distance from Independence Approach
This paper focuses on nonseparable structural models of the form Y = m(X, U, Î±0) with U X and in which the structural parameter Î±0 contains both finite dimensional (Î¸0) and infinite dimensional (h0) unknown components. Our proposal is to estimate Î±0 by a minimum distance from independence (MDI) criterion. We show that: (i) our estimator of h0 is consistent and obtain rates of convergence; (ii) the estimator of Î¸0 is square root n consistent and asymptotically normally distributed.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0508|
Phone: (858) 534-3383
Fax: (858) 534-7040
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucsdecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Xiaohong & Pouzo, Demian, 2008. "Estimation of Nonparametric Conditional Moment Models with Possibly Nonsmooth Moments," Working Papers 47, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Andrew Chesher, 2003. "Identification in Nonseparable Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1405-1441, 09.
- Hausman, Jerry A & Wise, David A, 1978.
"A Conditional Probit Model for Qualitative Choice: Discrete Decisions Recognizing Interdependence and Heterogeneous Preferences,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(2), pages 403-426, March.
- J. A. Hausman & D. A. Wise, 1976. "A Conditional Profit Model for Qualitative Choice: Discrete Decisions Recognizing Interdependence and Heterogeneous Preferences," Working papers 173, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Chunrong Ai & Xiaohong Chen, 2003. "Efficient Estimation of Models with Conditional Moment Restrictions Containing Unknown Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1795-1843, November.
- Xiaohong Chen & Demian Pouzo, 2008. "Estimation of Nonparametric Conditional Moment Models with Possibly Nonsmooth Moments," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1650, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Oct 2008.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell, 2003. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1565-1578, 09.
- Brown, Bryan W, 1983. "The Identification Problem in Systems Nonlinear in the Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(1), pages 175-196, January.
- Michael G. Akritas, 2001. "Non-parametric Estimation of the Residual Distribution," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 28(3), pages 549-567.
- Xiaohong Chen & Demian Pouzo, 2008. "Estimation of nonparametric conditional moment models with possibly nonsmooth moments," CeMMAP working papers CWP12/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1990. "Rationalizability, Learning, and Equilibrium in Games with Strategic Complementarities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1255-1277, November.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-890, July.
- Manski, Charles F, 1983. "Closest Empirical Distribution Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 305-319, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucsdec:qt32k957bp. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.