Strategic Interaction between Inter Vivos Gifts and Housing Acquisition
To consider the policy event of a gift tax reduction earmarked for housing acquisition, the interdependence of parental gifts and children's housing investments is modeled, considering an informal care issue behind such decision making. The empirical results, which use a sample of households who purchased a house in Japan, demonstrate that such a tax cut would appear to have the following limited effects on boosting housing investment in equilibrium. First, even though transfers are encouraged, they consequently reduce housing investment because the housing investment function is negatively related to gifts. Second, increments in housing investment are further discouraged because the slopes of the gift and housing investment functions have opposite signs.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Artle, Roland & Varaiya, Pravin, 1978. "Life cycle consumption and homeownership," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 38-58, June.
- Bernheim, B Douglas & Shleifer, Andrei & Summers, Lawrence H, 1986.
"The Strategic Bequest Motive,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(3), pages S151-82, July.
- Meliyanni Johar & Shiko Maruyama & Sayaka Nakamura, 2010. "Transition to Parent-Child Coresidence: Parental Needs and the Strategic Bequest Motive," Discussion Papers 2010-05, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Cox, Donald, 1987. "Motives for Private Income Transfers," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 508-46, June.
- Luigi Guiso & Tullio Jappelli, 1999.
"Private Transfers, Borrowing Constraints and the Timing of Homeownership,"
CSEF Working Papers
17, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio, 2002. "Private Transfers, Borrowing Constraints and the Timing of Homeownership," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(2), pages 315-39, May.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio, 1998. "Private Transfers, Borrowing Constraints and the Timing of Homeownership," CEPR Discussion Papers 2050, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ken Yamada, 2003.
"Intra-family Transfers in Japan: Intergenerational Co-residence, Distance, andContact,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0575, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Ken Yamada, 2006. "Intra-family transfers in Japan: intergenerational co-residence, distance, and contact," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(16), pages 1839-1861.
- Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu, 1997. "The housing question in Japan," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 613-641, November.
- Cox, Donald & Stark, Oded, 2005.
"On the demand for grandchildren: tied transfers and the demonstration effect,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(9-10), pages 1665-1697, September.
- Donald Cox & Oded Stark, 2007. "On the Demand for Grandchildren: Tied Transfers and the Demonstration Effect," Chapters, in: Handbook on the Economics of Happiness, chapter 18 Edward Elgar.
- Cox, Donald & Stark, Oded, 2004. "On the Demand for Grandchildren: Tied Transfers and the Demonstration Effect," Economics Series 158, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Cox, Donald & Stark, Oded, 2004. "On The Demand For Grandchildren: Tied Transfers And The Demonstration Effect," Discussion Papers 18751, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Yin, Ting, 2010.
"Parent-child co-residence and bequest motives in China,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 521-531, December.
- Ting Yin, 2009. "Parent-Child Co-residence and Bequest Motives in China," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 09-26, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Maurice J. Roche & David Duffy, 2007. "Getting a Helping Hand: Parental Transfers and First-Time Homebuyers," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1740507, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Charles Yuji Horioka, 2001.
"Are the Japanese Selfish, Altruistic, or Dynastic?,"
CIRJE-F-134, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Charles Yuji Horioka, 2001. "Are the Japanese Selfish, Altruistic, or Dynastic?," NBER Working Papers 8577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Yuji Horioka, 2001. "Are the Japanese Selfish, Altruistic, or Dynastic?," ISER Discussion Paper 0556, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Andreja Cirman, 2008. "Intergenerational Transfers as a Response to Changes in the Housing Market in Slovenia," European Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 303-315.
- Engelhardt, Gary V. & Mayer, Christopher J., 1998.
"Intergenerational Transfers, Borrowing Constraints, and Saving Behavior: Evidence from the Housing Market,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 135-157, July.
- Gary V. Engelhardt & Christopher J. Mayer, 1995. "Intergenerational transfers, borrowing constraints, and saving behavior: evidence from the housing market," Working Papers 95-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Joulfaian, David, 2004. "Gift taxes and lifetime transfers: time series evidence," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(9-10), pages 1917-1929, August.
- Andreja Cirman, 2008. "Intergenerational Transfers as a Response to Changes in the Housing Market in Slovenia," International Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 303-315.
- Joulfaian, David, 2005.
"Choosing between gifts and bequests: How taxes affect the timing of wealth transfers,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(11-12), pages 2069-2091, December.
- David Joulfaian, 2005. "Choosing Between Gifts and Bequests: How Taxes Affect the Timing of Wealth Transfers," NBER Working Papers 11025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giorgio Bellettini & Filippo Taddei, 2009.
"Real Estate Prices and the Importance of Bequest Taxation,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2577, CESifo Group Munich.
- Giorgio Bellettini & Filippo Taddei, 2009. "Real Estate Prices and the Importance of Bequest Taxation," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 107, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2011.
- Seymour Spilerman & Yuval Elmelech, 2001.
"Israeli Attitudes About Inter Vivos Transfers,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_341, Levy Economics Institute.
- Nordblom, Katarina & Ohlsson, Henry, 2005.
"Tax avoidance and intra-family transfers,"
Working Papers in Economics
164, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Viola Angelini, 2007. "The strategic bequest motive: evidence from SHARE," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0062, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Goodman, Allen C. & Kawai, Masahiro, 1982. "Permanent income, hedonic prices, and demand for housing: New evidence," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 214-237, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hst:ghsdps:gd11-201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.