Tax Avoidance and Intra-Family Transfers
To what extent do people avoid taxes on intra-family transfers (bequests and gifts), and how would integration (unification) of the different transfers taxes affect tax avoidance? These issues are important for families and their welfare, as well as for governments and their possibilities of raising revenue from transfer taxes. In this paper we study the effects of transfer taxes on altruistic parents’ transfers to their children. Using a theoretical model we find that altruistic parents do not necessarily tax minimize. However, in some cases when they do, there is an infinitely large excess burden of a transfer tax. We also find that integration of transfer taxes reduces tax avoidance. All tax avoidance is eliminated with complete integration.
|Date of creation:||15 Feb 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Public Economics, 2006, pages 1669-1680.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Uppsala University, P. O. Box 513, SE-751 20 Uppsala, Sweden|
Phone: + 46 18 471 25 00
Fax: + 46 18 471 14 78
Web page: http://www.nek.uu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Hammar, Henrik & Jagers, Sverker & Nordblom, Katarina, 2005. "Tax Evasion and the Importance of Trust," Working Papers in Economics 179, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Joulfaian, David & McGarry, Kathleen, 2004. "Estate and Gift Tax Incentives and Inter Vivos Giving," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 57(2), pages 429-44, June.
- Donald Cox, 1990. "Intergenerational Transfers and Liquidity Constraints," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(1), pages 187-217.
- Helmuth Cremer & ) & Pierre Pestieau, 2004.
"Wealth Trasfer Taxation: A Survey,"
- Helmuth Cremer & ) & Pierre Pestieau, 2003. "Wealth Transfer Taxation: A Survey," Public Economics 0311003, EconWPA.
- Helmuth Cremer & Pierre Pestieau, 2003. "Wealth transfer taxation: a survey," DELTA Working Papers 2003-20, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Helmuth Cremer & Pierre Pestieau, 2003. "Wealth Transfer Taxation: A Survey," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_394, Levy Economics Institute.
- Helmuth Cremer & Pierre Pestieau, 2003. "Wealth Transfer Taxation: A Survey," CESifo Working Paper Series 1061, CESifo Group Munich.
- Nordblom, Katarina & Ohlsson, Henry, 2005.
"Tax Avoidance and Intra-Family Transfers,"
Working Paper Series
2005:6, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Becker, Gary S & Tomes, Nigel, 1986.
"Human Capital and the Rise and Fall of Families,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(3), pages S1-39, July.
- Gary S. Becker & Nigel Tomes, . "Human Capital and the Rise and Fall of Families," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 84-10, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- David Joulfaian, 2005.
"Choosing Between Gifts and Bequests: How Taxes Affect the Timing of Wealth Transfers,"
NBER Working Papers
11025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joulfaian, David, 2005. "Choosing between gifts and bequests: How taxes affect the timing of wealth transfers," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(11-12), pages 2069-2091, December.
- Gary S. Becker, 1974.
"A Theory of Social Interactions,"
NBER Working Papers
0042, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arrondel, L. & Laferrere, A., 1998.
"Taxation and Wealth Transmission in France,"
DELTA Working Papers
98-13, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Joulfaian, David, 2004. "Gift taxes and lifetime transfers: time series evidence," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(9-10), pages 1917-1929, August.
- Poterba, James, 2001. "Estate and gift taxes and incentives for inter vivos giving in the US," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 237-264, January.
- William G. Gale & Joel B. Slemrod, 2001. "Rethinking the Estate and Gift Tax: Overview," NBER Working Papers 8205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Robert J. Lemke & John Karl Scholz, 2001.
"Do Estate and Gift Taxes Affect the Timing of Private Transfers?,"
NBER Working Papers
8333, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernheim, B. Douglas & Lemke, Robert J. & Scholz, John Karl, 2004. "Do estate and gift taxes affect the timing of private transfers?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(12), pages 2617-2634, December.
- Nordblom, Katarina, 2003. "Is increased public schooling really a policy for equality?: The role of within-the-family education," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(9-10), pages 1943-1965, September.
- Page, Benjamin R., 2003. "Bequest taxes, inter vivos gifts, and the bequest motive," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(5-6), pages 1219-1229, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:uunewp:2005_006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarina Grönvall)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.