Determinants and Dynamics of Price Disparity in Onshore and Offshore Renminbi Forward Exchange Rate Markets
Price disparities between the renminbi onshore deliverable forward and offshore non-deliverable forward exchange rates is an intriguing puzzle in financial economics. This paper investigates the determinants of these price disparities focusing on the possibility of parameter uncertainty. In the presence of information asymmetry and market segmentation among onshore and offshore investors, it is possible that they formulate different views on the Mainland economy which translate into a different assessment of the outlook for Mainland interest rates. Through a no arbitrage condition that relates the forward rate to the spot rate and interest rate differential, a different assessment of the path of interest rates can lead to a different valuation of forward prices. We estimate a term structure model for the implied renminbi interest rate using a Bayesian approach, in which investors¡¯ model parameter uncertainty is represented by the posterior standard deviation of the volatility of the interest rate. We show that parameter uncertainty can help to explain price disparities, in addition to market-wide aggregate uncertainty and illicit capital flows in the Mainland¡¯s balance of payment.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 55th Floor , Two International Finance Centre , 8 Finance Street , Central, Hong Kong|
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Engel & Nelson C. Mark & Kenneth D. West, 2007.
"Exchange Rate Models Are Not as Bad as You Think,"
NBER Working Papers
13318, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Officer, Lawrence H & Willett, Thomas D, 1970. "The Covered-Arbitrage Schedule: A Critical Survey of Recent Developments," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 2(2), pages 247-57, May.
- Baba, Naohiko & Packer, Frank, 2009.
"Interpreting deviations from covered interest parity during the financial market turmoil of 2007-08,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1953-1962, November.
- Naohiko Baba & Frank Packer, 2008. "Interpreting deviations from covered interest parity during the financial market turmoil of 2007-08," BIS Working Papers 267, Bank for International Settlements.
- Brunnermeier, Markus K & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2007.
"Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6179, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lasse Heje Pederson & Markus K Brunnermeier, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," FMG Discussion Papers dp580, Financial Markets Group.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market liquidity and funding liquidity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24478, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 12939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yongmiao Hong & Hai Lin & Shouyang Wang, 2013.
"Modeling the Dynamics of Chinese Spot Interest Rates,"
WISE Working Papers
2013-10-14, Wang Yanan Institute for Studies in Economics (WISE), Xiamen University.
- Hong, Yongmiao & Lin, Hai & Wang, Shouyang, 2010. "Modeling the dynamics of Chinese spot interest rates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1047-1061, May.
- Cai, Charlie X. & McGuinness, Paul B. & Zhang, Qi, 2011. "The pricing dynamics of cross-listed securities: The case of Chinese A- and H-shares," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 2123-2136, August.
- Cho‐Hoi Hui & Hans Genberg & Tsz‐Kin Chung, 2011.
"Funding liquidity risk and deviations from interest‐rate parity during the financial crisis of 2007–2009,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(4), pages 307-323, October.
- Cho-Hoi Hui & Hans Genberg & Tsz-Kin Chung, 2009. "Funding Liquidity Risk and Deviations from Interest-Rate Parity During the Financial Crisis of 2007-2009," Working Papers 0913, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Wang, Steven Shuye & Jiang, Li, 2004. "Location of trade, ownership restrictions, and market illiquidity: Examining Chinese A- and H-shares," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1273-1297, June.
- Eraker, Bjorn, 2001. "MCMC Analysis of Diffusion Models with Application to Finance," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 177-191, April.
- Tang, Cheng Yong & Chen, Song Xi, 2009. "Parameter estimation and bias correction for diffusion processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 149(1), pages 65-81, April.
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1992. " Interest Rate Volatility and the Term Structure: A Two-Factor General Equilibrium Model," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1259-1282, September.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hkm:wpaper:242012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.