Parameter estimation and bias correction for diffusion processes
This paper considers parameter estimation for continuous-time diffusion processes which are commonly used to model dynamics of financial securities including interest rates. To understand why the drift parameters are more difficult to estimate than the diffusion parameter, as observed in previous studies, we first develop expansions for the bias and variance of parameter estimators for two of the most employed interest rate processes, Vasicek and CIR processes. Then, we study the first order approximate maximum likelihood estimator for linear drift processes. A parametric bootstrap procedure is proposed to correct bias for general diffusion processes with a theoretical justification. Simulation studies confirm the theoretical findings and show that the bootstrap proposal can effectively reduce both the bias and the mean square error of parameter estimates, for both univariate and multivariate processes. The advantages of using more accurate parameter estimators when calculating various option prices in finance are demonstrated by an empirical study.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Peter C. B. Phillips, 2005.
"Jackknifing Bond Option Prices,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(2), pages 707-742.
- Jun Yu & Peter Phillips, 2004. "Jackknifing Bond Option Prices," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 115, Econometric Society.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Jun Yu, 2003. "Jackknifing Bond Option Prices," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1392, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Robert C. Merton, 1980.
"On Estimating the Expected Return on the Market: An Exploratory Investigation,"
NBER Working Papers
0444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Merton, Robert C., 1980. "On estimating the expected return on the market : An exploratory investigation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 323-361, December.
- Sargan, J D, 1976. "Econometric Estimators and the Edgeworth Approximation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(3), pages 421-48, May.
- Aït-Sahalia, Yacine & Kimmel, Robert L., 2010.
"Estimating affine multifactor term structure models using closed-form likelihood expansions,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 113-144, October.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia & Robert Kimmel, 2002. "Estimating Affine Multifactor Term Structure Models Using Closed-Form Likelihood Expansions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0286, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Kimmel, Robert L., 2008. "Estimating Affine Multifactor Term Structure Models Using Closed-Form Likelihood Expansions," Working Paper Series 2008-19, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Lo, Andrew W., 1988.
"Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Generalized Itô Processes with Discretely Sampled Data,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(02), pages 231-247, August.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1986. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Generalized Ito Processes with Discretely Sampled Data," NBER Technical Working Papers 0059, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo, . "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Generalized Ito Processes with Discretely Sampled Data," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 15-86, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Scheinkman, Jose Alexandre, 1995.
"Back to the Future: Generating Moment Implications for Continuous-Time Markov Processes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 767-804, July.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Jose Alexandre Scheinkman, 1993. "Back to the Future: Generating Moment Implications for Continuous-Time Markov Processes," NBER Technical Working Papers 0141, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1996.
"Which Moments to Match?,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 657-681, October.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 2002. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Discretely Sampled Diffusions: A Closed-form Approximation Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 223-262, January.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia, 1999. "Transition Densities for Interest Rate and Other Nonlinear Diffusions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(4), pages 1361-1395, 08.
- Sundaresan, S.M., 2000. "Continuous-Time Methods in Finance: A Review and an Assessment," Papers 00-03, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Ball, Clifford A. & Torous, Walter N., 1996. "Unit roots and the estimation of interest rate dynamics," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 215-238, June.
- Bergstrom, A.R., 1984. "Continuous time stochastic models and issues of aggregation over time," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1145-1212 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:149:y:2009:i:1:p:65-81. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.