Back to the Future: Generating Moment Implications for Continuous-Time Markov Processes
Continuous-time Markov processes can be characterized conveniently by their infinitesimal generators. For such processes there exist forward and reverse-time generators. We show how to use these generators to construct moment conditions implied by stationary Markov processes. Generalized method of moments estimators and tests can be constructed using these moment conditions. The resulting econometric methods are designed to be applied to discrete-time data obtained by sampling continuous-time Markov processes.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Hansen, Lars Peter and Jose Alexandre Scheinkman. "Back To The Future: Generating Moment Implications For Continuous-Time Markov Processes," Econometrica, 1995, v63(4), 767-804.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darrell Duffie & Kenneth J. Singleton, 1990.
"Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1993. "Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 929-52, July.
- Harvey, A. C. & Stock, James H., 1985. "The Estimation of Higher-Order Continuous Time Autoregressive Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 97-117, April.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent, 1981.
"The dimensionality of the aliasing problem in models with rational spectral densities,"
72, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Sargent, Thomas J, 1983. "The Dimensionality of the Aliasing Problem in Models with Rational Spectral Densities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 377-87, March.
- Phillips, P. C. B., 1973. "The problem of identification in finite parameter continuous time models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 351-362, December.
- Hua He., 1990. "Moment Approximation and Estimation of Diffusion Models of Asset Prices," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-193, University of California at Berkeley.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1986.
"Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Generalized Ito Processes with Discretely Sampled Data,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0059, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lo, Andrew W., 1988. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Generalized Itô Processes with Discretely Sampled Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(02), pages 231-247, August.
- Andrew W. Lo, . "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Generalized Ito Processes with Discretely Sampled Data," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 15-86, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1985. "A method for calculating bounds on the asymptotic covariance matrices of generalized method of moments estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 203-238.
- Newey, W.K., 1990. "Efficient Estimation Of Semiparametric Models Via Moment Restrictions," Papers 352, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Stockman, Alan C., 1985.
Handbook of International Economics,
in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 917-977
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Bierens, H.J., 1989.
"A consistent conditional moment test of functional form,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0064, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Bierens, Herman J, 1990. "A Consistent Conditional Moment Test of Functional Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1443-58, November.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1992. "Efficiency Bounds for Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 567-96, May.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Nychka, Douglas W, 1987. "Semi-nonparametric Maximum Likelihood Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 363-90, March.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Anderson, Brian D.O., 1982. "Reverse-time diffusion equation models," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 313-326, May.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1988.
"Target Zones and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
2481, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scheinkman, Jose A, 1990. "Nonlinearities in Economic Dynamics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 33-48, Supplemen.
- Robinson, P M, 1976. "The Estimation of Linear Differential Equations with Constant Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 751-64, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberte:0141. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.