On estimating the expected return on the market : An exploratory investigation
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Robert C. Merton, 1980. "On Estimating the Expected Return on the Market: An Exploratory Investigation," NBER Working Papers 0444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
References listed on IDEAS
- Breeden, Douglas T., 1979. "An intertemporal asset pricing model with stochastic consumption and investment opportunities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 265-296, September.
- Stephen A. Ross, 2013.
"The Arbitrage Theory of Capital Asset Pricing,"
World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Leonard C MacLean & William T Ziemba (ed.), HANDBOOK OF THE FUNDAMENTALS OF FINANCIAL DECISION MAKING Part I, chapter 1, pages 11-30,
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Stephen A. Ross, "undated". "The Arbitrage Theory of Capital Asset Pricing," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 02-73, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Stephen A. Ross, "undated". "The Arbitrage Theory of Capital Asset Pricing," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 2-73, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971.
"Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model,"
Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970. "Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model," Working papers 58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Schmalensee, Richard & Trippi, Robert R, 1978. "Common Stock Volatility Expectations Implied by Option Premia," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 129-147, March.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1972. "Capital Markets: Theory and Evidence," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 3(2), pages 357-398, Autumn.
- Fama, Eugene F. & MacBeth, James D., 1974. "Tests of the multiperiod two-parameter model," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 43-66, May.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, September.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Treynor, Jack L & Black, Fischer, 1973. "How to Use Security Analysis to Improve Portfolio Selection," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(1), pages 66-86, January.
- Barr Rosenberg., 1972. "The Behavior of Random Variables with Nonstationary Variance and the Distribution of Security Prices," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 11, University of California at Berkeley.
- Blume, Marshall E & Friend, Irwin, 1975. "The Asset Structure of Individual Portfolios and Some Implications for Utility Functions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(2), pages 585-603, May.
- Friend, Irwin & Blume, Marshall E, 1970. "Measurement of Portfolio Performance Under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 561-575, September.
- Ibbotson, Roger G & Sinquefield, Rex A, 1976. "Stocks, Bonds, Bills, and Inflation: Year-by-Year Historical Returns (1926-1974)," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 49(1), pages 11-47, January.
- Latane, Henry A & Rendleman, Richard J, Jr, 1976. "Standard Deviations of Stock Price Ratios Implied in Option Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 369-381, May.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Munk, Claus, 2015. "Financial Asset Pricing Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198716457.
- Merton, Robert C., 1993.
"On the microeconomic theory of investment under uncertainty,"
Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: K. J. Arrow & M.D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 4, volume 2, chapter 13, pages 601-669,
- Merton, Robert C., 1977. "On the microeconomic theory of investment under uncertainty," Working papers 958-77., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5374 is not listed on IDEAS
- Merton, Robert, 1990.
"Capital market theory and the pricing of financial securities,"
Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 497-581,
- Merton, Robert C., 1986. "Capital market theory and the pricing of financial securities," Working papers 1818-86., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Carbajal-De-Nova, Carolina & Venegas-Martínez, Francisco, 2019. "On the paradigm shift of asset pricing models, before and after the global financial crisis: a literature review," Panorama Económico, Escuela Superior de Economía, Instituto Politécnico Nacional, vol. 15(29), pages 7-38, Primer se.
- Dimson, Elroy & Mussavian, Massoud, 1999. "Three centuries of asset pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(12), pages 1745-1769, December.
- Li, Minqiang, 2010. "Asset Pricing - A Brief Review," MPRA Paper 22379, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Suresh M. Sundaresan, 2000. "Continuous‐Time Methods in Finance: A Review and an Assessment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(4), pages 1569-1622, August.
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1978. "A simple model of risk and return on long-lived tangible assets," Working papers 1036-78., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Duffie, Darrell, 2003. "Intertemporal asset pricing theory," Handbook of the Economics of Finance, in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 639-742, Elsevier.
- Tim Bollerslev & Ray Y. Chou & Narayanan Jayaraman & Kenneth F. Kroner - L, 1991. "es modéles ARCH en finance : un point sur la théorie et les résultats empiriques," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 24, pages 1-59.
- Eckhard Platen, 2005.
"On The Role Of The Growth Optimal Portfolio In Finance,"
Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(4), pages 365-388, December.
- Eckhard Platen, 2005. "On the Role of the Growth Optimal Portfolio in Finance," Research Paper Series 144, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Peter Phillips, 2010. "Financial crisis of metaphor," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer;Society for the Development of Austrian Economics, vol. 23(3), pages 223-242, September.
- Rudolf F. Klein & K. Victor Chow, 2010. "Sentiment Effect and Market Portfolio Inefficiency," Working Papers 10-08, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1991:i:24:p:01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Detlef Seese & Christof Weinhardt & Frank Schlottmann (ed.), 2008. "Handbook on Information Technology in Finance," International Handbooks on Information Systems, Springer, number 978-3-540-49487-4, March.
- Orszag, J. Michael & Yang, Hong, 1995. "Portfolio choice with Knightian uncertainty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(5-7), pages 873-900.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/2514 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ladislav Kristoufek & Paulo Ferreira, 2018. "Capital asset pricing model in Portugal: Evidence from fractal regressions," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer;Instituto Superior de Economia e Gestao, vol. 17(3), pages 173-183, November.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Campbell R. Harvey, 1999.
"Conditioning Variables and the Cross Section of Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(4), pages 1325-1360, August.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Campbell R. Harvey, 1999. "Conditioning Variables and the Cross-Section of Stock Returns," NBER Working Papers 7009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heller, Yuval & Schreiber, Amnon, 0. "Short-term investments and indices of risk," Theoretical Economics, Econometric Society.
- Fletcher, Jonathan, 2001. "An examination of predictable risk and return in UK stock returns," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 527-546.
- Sin-Yu Ho & N.M. Odhiambo, 2018.
"Analysing the macroeconomic drivers of stock market development in the Philippines,"
Cogent Economics & Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 1451265-145, January.
- Ho, Sin-Yu & Odhiambo, Nicholas, 2017. "Analysing the macroeconomic drivers of stock Market development in the Philippines," Working Papers 23439, University of South Africa, Department of Economics.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfinec:v:8:y:1980:i:4:p:323-361. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nithya Sathishkumar). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505576 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.