Causes of Corruption in Russia: A Disaggregated Analysis
This paper examines determinants of corruption across Russian regions. Key contributions include: (i) a formal study of economic corruption determinants across Russian regions; (ii) comparisons of determinants of perceived corruption versus those of actual corruption; and (iii) studying the influence of market competition and other factors on corruption. The results show that economic prosperity, population, market competition and urbanization are significant determinants of Russian corruption. The use of alternative corruption measures reveals that economic prosperity and population have a largely similar impact on corruption perceptions and corruption incidence. However, there are significant differences in the effects of competition and urbanization.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186|
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Danila Serra, 2005.
"Empirical determinants of corruption: A sensitivity analysis,"
Economics Series Working Papers
GPRG-WPS-012, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Danila Serra, 2006. "Empirical determinants of corruption: A sensitivity analysis," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 126(1), pages 225-256, January.
- Rajeev Goel & Michael Nelson, 2011. "Measures of corruption and determinants of US corruption," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 155-176, June.
- Belousova, Veronika & Goel, Rajeev K. & Korhonen, Iikka, 2011.
"Causes of corruption in Russia : a disaggregated analysis,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
31/2011, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Belousova, Veronika & Rajeev, K. Goel & Korhonen, Iikka, 2011. "Causes of Corruption in Russia: A Disaggregated Analysis," Discussion Paper Series 557, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Gary S. Becker, 1968.
"Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 76, pages 169.
- Ararat Osipian, 2010.
"Corrupt Organizational Hierarchies in the Former Soviet Bloc,"
Transition Studies Review,
Springer;Central Eastern European University Network (CEEUN), vol. 17(4), pages 822-836, December.
- Osipian, Ararat, 2007. "Corrupt Organizational Hierarchies in the Former Soviet Bloc," MPRA Paper 7591, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bin Dong & Benno Torgler, 2010.
"The Causes of Corruption: Evidence from China,"
School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series
257, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Bin Dong & Benno Torgler, 2010. "The Causes of Corruption: Evidence from China," Working Papers 2010.72, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Bin Dong & Benno Torgler, 2010. "The Causes of Corruption: Evidence from China," CREMA Working Paper Series 2010-07, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Kira Boerner & Christa Hainz, 2009. "The political economy of corruption and the role of economic opportunities," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 17(2), pages 213-240, 04.
- Benjamin A. Olken, 2006.
"Corruption Perceptions vs. Corruption Reality,"
NBER Working Papers
12428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gundlach, Erich & Paldam, Martin, 2009.
"The transition of corruption: From poverty to honesty,"
Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 146-148, June.
- Gundlach, Erich & Paldam, Martin, 2008. "The transition of corruption: From poverty to honesty," Kiel Working Papers 1411, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Erich Gundlach & Martin Paldam, 2008. "The Transition of Corruption: From Poverty to Honesty," Kiel Working Papers 1411, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Treisman, Daniel, 2000. "The causes of corruption: a cross-national study," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 399-457, June.
- Johann Graf Lambsdorff, 2006. "Causes and Consequences of Corruption: What Do We Know from a Cross-Section of Countries?," Chapters, in: International Handbook on the Economics of Corruption, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521659123 is not listed on IDEAS
- Levin, Mark & Satarov, Georgy, 2000. "Corruption and institutions in Russia," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 113-132, March.
- Safavian, Mehnaz S. & Graham, Douglas H. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio, 2001. "Corruption and Microenterprises in Russia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1215-1224, July.
- Guriev, Sergei, 2004.
"Red tape and corruption,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 489-504, April.
- Jakob Svensson, 2005. "Eight Questions about Corruption," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(3), pages 19-42, Summer.
- Lorenzo Pellegrini & Reyer Gerlagh, 2008. "Causes of corruption: a survey of cross-country analyses and extended results," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 245-263, July.
- Fisman, Raymond & Gatti, Roberta, 2002. "Decentralization and Corruption: Evidence from U.S. Federal Transfer Programs," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 113(1-2), pages 25-35, October.
- S. Guriev., 2007. "Corruption in Russia: What Do We Know and What Can We Do?," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 1.
- Safavian, Mehnaz S. & Sheldon, Ian M. & Graham, Douglas H. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio, 2001. "The Differential Impact Of Corruption On Microenterprises In Russia," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20495, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521632935 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mokhtari, Manouchehr & Grafova, Irina, 2007. "Corruption: Theory and evidence from the Russian Federation," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 412-422, December.
- Rajeev K. Goel & Michael A. Nelson, 2005. "Economic Freedom Versus Political Freedom: Cross-Country Influences On Corruption ," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 121-133, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:hituec:557. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiromichi Miyake)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.