Causes of Corruption in Russia: A Disaggregated Analysis
This paper examines determinants of corruption across Russian regions. Key contributions include: (i) a formal study of economic corruption determinants across Russian regions; (ii) comparisons of determinants of perceived corruption versus those of actual corruption; and (iii) studying the influence of market competition and other factors on corruption. The results show that economic prosperity, population, market competition and urbanization are significant determinants of Russian corruption. The use of alternative corruption measures reveals that economic prosperity and population have a largely similar impact on corruption perceptions and corruption incidence. However, there are significant differences in the effects of competition and urbanization.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186|
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Osipian, Ararat, 2007.
"Corrupt Organizational Hierarchies in the Former Soviet Bloc,"
7591, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ararat Osipian, 2010. "Corrupt Organizational Hierarchies in the Former Soviet Bloc," Transition Studies Review, Springer;Central Eastern European University Network (CEEUN), vol. 17(4), pages 822-836, December.
- Gary S. Becker, 1974.
"Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach,"
in: Essays in the Economics of Crime and Punishment, pages 1-54
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajeev K. Goel & Michael A. Nelson, 2005. "Economic Freedom Versus Political Freedom: Cross-Country Influences On Corruption ," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 121-133, 06.
- Olken, Benjamin, 2007.
"Corruption Perceptions vs. Corruption Reality,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6272, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bin Dong & Benno Torgler, 2010.
"The Causes of Corruption: Evidence from China,"
2010.72, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Bin Dong & Benno Torgler, 2010. "The Causes of Corruption: Evidence from China," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 257, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Bin Dong & Benno Torgler, 2010. "The Causes of Corruption: Evidence from China," CREMA Working Paper Series 2010-07, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Danila Serra, 2006.
"Empirical determinants of corruption: A sensitivity analysis,"
Springer, vol. 126(1), pages 225-256, January.
- Danila Serra, 2005. "Empirical determinants of corruption: A sensitivity analysis," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-012, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Levin, Mark & Satarov, Georgy, 2000. "Corruption and institutions in Russia," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 113-132, March.
- Rajeev Goel & Michael Nelson, 2011. "Measures of corruption and determinants of US corruption," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 155-176, June.
- Belousova, Veronika & Goel, Rajeev K. & Korhonen, Iikka, 2011.
"Causes of corruption in Russia : a disaggregated analysis,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
31/2011, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Belousova, Veronika & Rajeev, K. Goel & Korhonen, Iikka, 2011. "Causes of Corruption in Russia: A Disaggregated Analysis," Discussion Paper Series 557, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Gundlach, Erich & Paldam, Martin, 2008.
"The transition of corruption: From poverty to honesty,"
Kiel Working Papers
1411, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Gundlach, Erich & Paldam, Martin, 2009. "The transition of corruption: From poverty to honesty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 146-148, June.
- Erich Gundlach & Martin Paldam, 2008. "The Transition of Corruption: From Poverty to Honesty," Kiel Working Papers 1411, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521632935 is not listed on IDEAS
- Safavian, Mehnaz S. & Sheldon, Ian M. & Graham, Douglas H. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio, 2001. "The Differential Impact Of Corruption On Microenterprises In Russia," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20495, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jakob Svensson, 2005. "Eight Questions about Corruption," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(3), pages 19-42, Summer.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521659123 is not listed on IDEAS
- Guriev, Sergei, 2004.
"Red tape and corruption,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 489-504, April.
- S. Guriev., 2007. "Corruption in Russia: What Do We Know and What Can We Do?," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 1.
- Treisman, Daniel, 2000. "The causes of corruption: a cross-national study," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 399-457, June.
- Johann Graf Lambsdorff, 2006. "Causes and Consequences of Corruption: What Do We Know from a Cross-Section of Countries?," Chapters, in: International Handbook on the Economics of Corruption, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Safavian, Mehnaz S. & Graham, Douglas H. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio, 2001. "Corruption and Microenterprises in Russia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1215-1224, July.
- Fisman, Raymond & Gatti, Roberta, 2002. "Decentralization and Corruption: Evidence from U.S. Federal Transfer Programs," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 113(1-2), pages 25-35, October.
- Lorenzo Pellegrini & Reyer Gerlagh, 2008. "Causes of corruption: a survey of cross-country analyses and extended results," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 245-263, July.
- Mokhtari, Manouchehr & Grafova, Irina, 2007. "Corruption: Theory and evidence from the Russian Federation," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 412-422, December.
- Kira Boerner & Christa Hainz, 2009. "The political economy of corruption and the role of economic opportunities," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 17(2), pages 213-240, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:hituec:557. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiromichi Miyake)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.