Age Distribution, Saving and Consumption in Sweden
This paper focuses on an empirical analysis of the dependency between age structure and aggregate consumption and the composition of aggregate savings. In a long-run consumption function of life cycle type, different demographic variables have a conclusive, statistically significant effect. In investigating the link between demographic variables and the composition of aggregate savings, a simple simultaneous model is used, and a saving function and a house price equation are estimated. The result even here is that age composition matters for house price and savings. This conclusion is also made visible by a simulation experiment. Finally is the model used to ascertain the effect on the recent Swedish tax reform on savings.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 46 18 471 25 00
Fax: + 46 18 471 14 78
Web page: http://www.nek.uu.se/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giavazzi, Francesco & Pagano, Marco, 1995.
"Non-Keynesian Effects of Fiscal Policy Changes: International Evidence and the Swedish Experience,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1284, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesco Giavazzi & Marco Pagano, 1995. "Non-Keynesian Effects of Fiscal Policy Changes: International Evidence and the Swedish Experience," NBER Working Papers 5332, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ekman, E., 1996. "Consumption and Savings Over the Life Cycle," Papers 1996-02, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Berg, Lennart & Bergstrom, Reinhold, 1995. " Housing and Financial Wealth, Financial Deregulation and Consumption--The Swedish Case," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(3), pages 421-39, September.
- Agell, J. & Berg, L. & Edin, P.A., 1995.
"Tax Reform, Consumption and Asset Structure,"
16, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Blomquist, N S & Wijkander, H, 1994.
"Fertility Waves, Aggregate Savings and the Rate of Interest,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 27-48.
- Blomquist, N.S. & Wijkander, H., 1993. "Fertility Waves, Aggregate Savings and the Rate of Interest," Papers 1993-9, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Agell, Jonas & Edin, Per-Anders, 1990. " Marginal Taxes and the Asset Portfolios of Swedish Households," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(1), pages 47-64.
- Fair, Ray C & Dominguez, Kathryn M, 1991.
"Effects of the Changing U.S. Age Distribution on Macroeconomic Equations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1276-94, December.
- Ray C. Fair & Kathryn M. Dominguez, 1987. "Effects of the Changing U.S. Age Distribution on Macroeconomic Equations," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 839, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ray C. Fair & Kathryn M. Dominguez, 1987. "Effects of the Changing U.S. Age Distribution on Macroeconomic Equations," NBER Working Papers 2280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heiborn, M., 1994. "Demographic Factors and the Demand for Housing," Papers 1994-30, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Lindh, T. & Malmberg, B., 1995. "Human Capital, Age Structure, and Growth in OECD , 1950- 1990," Papers 1995-10, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Agell, J. & Berg, L., 1995. "Did Financial Deregulation Cause the Swedish Consumption Boom?," Papers 1995-21, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- McMillan, Henry M. & Baesel, Jerome B., 1990. "The macroeconomic impact of the baby boom generation," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 167-195.
- Brenner, R & Dagenais, Marcel G & Montmarquette, C, 1994. "An Overlooked Explanation of the Declining Saving Rate," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 629-37.
- Barr, Nicholas, 1992. "Economic Theory and the Welfare State: A Survey and Interpretation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 741-803, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:uunewp:1996_022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarina Grönvall)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.