Patient Mobility, Health Care Quality and Welfare
Patient mobility is a key issue in the EU who recently passed a new law on patients’right to EU-wide provider choice. In this paper we use a Hotelling model with two regions that differ in technology to study the impact of patient mobility on health care quality, health care financing and welfare. A decentralised solution without patient mobility leads to too low (high) quality and too few (many) patients being treated in the high-skill (low-skill) region. A centralised solution with patient mobility implements the first best, but the low-skill region would not be willing to transfer authority as its welfare is lower than without mobility. In a decentralised solution, the effects of patient mobility depend on the transfer payment. If the payment is below marginal cost, mobility leads to a ‘race-to-the-bottom’in quality and lower welfare in both regions. If the payment is equal to marginal cost, quality and welfare remain unchanged in the high-skill region, but the low-skill region bene…ts. For a socially optimal payment, which is higher than marginal cost, quality levels in the two regions are closer to (but not at) the …rst best, but welfare is lower in the low-skill region. Thus, patient mobility can have adverse effects on quality provision and welfare unless an appropriate transfer payment scheme is implemented.
|Date of creation:||22 Sep 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NHH, Department of Economics, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway|
Phone: +47 55 959 277
Fax: 5595 9100
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/sam/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas P. Lyon, 1999. "Quality Competition, Insurance, and Consumer Choice in Health Care Markets," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(4), pages 546-580, December.
- Jelovac, I. & Macho-Stadler, I., 1998.
"Comparing Organizational Structures in Health Services,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
412.98, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Jelovac, Izabela & Macho-Stadler, Ines, 2002. "Comparing organizational structures in health services," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 501-522, December.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2008.
"Hospital competition and quality with regulated prices,"
NIPE Working Papers
06/2008, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2011. "Hospital Competition and Quality with Regulated Prices," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113, pages 444-469, 06.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2009. "Hospital Competition and Quality with Regulated Prices," CESifo Working Paper Series 2635, CESifo Group Munich.
- Nielsen, Soren Bo, 2001.
" A Simple Model of Commodity Taxation and Cross-Border Shopping,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(4), pages 599-623, December.
- Søren Bo Nielsen, "undated". "A Simple Model of Commodity Taxation and Cross-Border Shopping," EPRU Working Paper Series 98-18, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Nielsen, Søren Bo, 1998. "A simple model of commodity taxation and cross-border shopping," Working Papers 13-1998, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz, 2000. "Tax evasion, fiscal competition and economic integration," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(9), pages 1633-1657, October.
- Martin Gaynor, 2006.
"What Do We know About Competition and Quality in Health Care Markets?,"
The Centre for Market and Public Organisation
06/151, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Martin Gaynor, 2006. "What Do We Know About Competition and Quality in Health Care Markets?," NBER Working Papers 12301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Gaynor, "undated". "What Do We Know About Competition and Quality in Health Care Markets?," GSIA Working Papers 2006-E62, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- You-Qiang Wang, 1999. "Commodity Taxes under Fiscal Competition: Stackelberg Equilibrium and Optimality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 974-981, September.
- Oates, Wallace E., 2001. "Fiscal competition and European Union: contrasting perspectives," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2-3), pages 133-145, April.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Nuscheler, Robert & Straume, Odd Rune, 2002.
"Quality and location choices under price regulation
[Qualitäts- und Standortwahl bei Preisregulierung]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance FS IV 02-28, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Kurt R. Brekke & Robert Nuscheler & Odd Rune Straume, 2006. "Quality and Location Choices under Price Regulation," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 207-227, 03.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Nuscheler, Robert & Straume, Odd Rune, 2002. "Quality and location choices under price regulation," Working Papers in Economics 24/02, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Gravelle, Hugh & Sivey, Peter, 2010. "Imperfect information in a quality-competitive hospital market," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 524-535, July.
- Hoel, Michael, 2004. "Interregional interactions and population mobility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 419-433, November.
- Trandel, Gregory A., 1994. "Interstate commodity tax differentials and the distribution of residents," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 435-457, March.
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita & Martinez-Giralt, Xavier, 2000.
"Public and Private Provision of Health Care,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2491, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743.
- Hiroshi Aiura & Yasuo Sanjo, 2010. "Privatization of local public hospitals: effect on budget, medical service quality, and social welfare," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 275-299, September.
- Ravi Kanbur & Michael Keen, 1991.
"Jeux Sans Frontieres: Tax Competition and Tax Coordination when Countries Differ in Size,"
819, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Keen, Michael, 1993. "Jeux Sans Frontieres: Tax Competition and Tax Coordination When Countries Differ in Size," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(4), pages 877-892, September.
- Halonen-Akatwijuka, Maija & Propper, Carol, 2008. "Competition and decentralisation in government bureaucracies," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(3-4), pages 903-916, September.
- Wallace E. Oates, 1999. "An Essay on Fiscal Federalism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1120-1149, September.
- Gravelle, Hugh, 1999. "Capitation contracts: access and quality," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 315-340, June.
- Legido-Quigley, Helena & Glinos, Irene A. & Baeten, Rita & McKee, Martin & Busse, Reinhard, 2012. "Analysing arrangements for cross-border mobility of patients in the European Union: A proposal for a framework," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 27-36.
- Alessandro Petretto, 2000. "On the cost-benefit of the regionalisation of the National Health Service," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 213-232, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:nhheco:2011_013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dagny Hanne Kristiansen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.