Swedish Inheritance and Gift Taxation (1885–2004)
This paper studies the evolution of the modern Swedish inheritance taxation from its introduction in 1885 to its abolishment in 2004. A thorough description is offered of the basic principles of the tax, including underlying ideas and ambitions, tax schedules, and rules concerning valuation of assets, liability matters and deduction opportunities. Using these rules, we calculate inheritance tax rates for the whole period for a number of differently endowed family firms and individuals. The overall trend in inheritance tax burden exhibits an inverse-U shape for all firms and individuals. Up until World War II, inheritance tax rates were very low (never above six percent), but in the postwar era tax rates increased rapidly for both inherited firms and individual fortunes. Effective tax rates peaked in the mid-1970s. Valuation reliefs were introduced in the 1970s, which sharply reduced tax rates for inherited family businesses. Tax rates for deceased individuals were first cut in 1987 and then significantly reduced in 1991–1992. Finally, inheritance and gift tax revenues were relatively small, around a quarter of a percent of GDP.
|Date of creation:||07 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:||25 Nov 2014|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Swedish Taxation: Developments Since 1862, Henrekson, Magnus, Stenkula, Mikael (eds.), 2015, Palgrave Macmillan.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jesper Roine & Daniel Waldenström, 2009.
"Wealth Concentration over the Path of Development: Sweden, 1873-2006,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 111(1), pages 151-187, 03.
- Roine, Jesper & Waldenström, Daniel, 2007. "Wealth Concentration over the Path of Development: Sweden, 1873–2006," Working Paper Series 722, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 13 Jun 2008.
- Ohlsson, Henry, 2007.
"The legacy of the Swedish gift and inheritance tax, 1884–2004,"
Working Paper Series
2007:23, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Ohlsson, Henry, 2011. "The legacy of the Swedish gift and inheritance tax, 1884–2004," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 539-569, December.
- Ohlsson, Henry, 2009. "The legacy of the Swedish gift and inheritance tax, 1884-2004," Working Paper Series, Center for Fiscal Studies 2009:13, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Stenkula, Mikael, 2014. "Taxation of Real Estate in Sweden (1862–2013)," Working Paper Series 1018, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 21 Oct 2014.
- David Domeij & Martin Flodén, 2006.
"Population Aging And International Capital Flows,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1013-1032, 08.
- Domeij, David & Flodén, Martin, 2003. "Population Aging and International Capital Flows," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 539, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 21 Oct 2003.
- Domeij, David & Flodén, Martin, 2004. "Population Ageing and International Capital Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 4644, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Floden & David Domeij, 2004. "Population Aging and International Capital Flows," 2004 Meeting Papers 490, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2012004 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hochguertel, Stefan & Ohlsson, Henry, 2012.
"Who is at the top? Wealth mobility over the life cycle,"
Working Paper Series, Center for Fiscal Studies
2012:1, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Hochguertel, Stefan & Ohlsson, Henry, 2012. "Who is at the top? Wealth mobility over the life cycle," Working Paper Series 2012:1, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Johansson, Dan, 2004. "Skatternas utveckling, omfattning och fördelning," Ratio Working Papers 42, The Ratio Institute.
- Thomas Piketty, 2011.
"On the Long-Run Evolution of Inheritance: France 1820--2050,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 126(3), pages 1071-1131.
- Piketty, Thomas, 2010. "On the Long Run Evolution of Inheritance - France 1820-2050," CEPR Discussion Papers 7854, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:iuiwop:0936. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.