Graded Children – Evidence of Longrun Consequences of School Grades from a Nationwide Reform
Swedish elementary school children stopped receiving written end of year report cards following a grading reform in 1982. Gradual implementation of the reform creates an opportunity to investigate the effects of being graded on adult educational attainments and earnings for children in the cohorts born 1954–1974, using a difference-in-differences strategy. Accounting for municipal time trends and tracing out reform dynamics, there is some evidence that being graded increases girls’ years of schooling, but has no significant average effect on boys. Analysis of effects by family background suggests that receiving grades increases the probability of high school graduation for boys and girls with compulsory school educated parents. Sons of university graduates, however, earn less and are less likely to get a university degree if they were graded in elementary school.
|Date of creation:||08 Jun 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Research Institute of Industrial Economics, Box 55665, SE-102 15 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Becker, Johannes & Fuest, Clemens, 2011.
"Source versus residence based taxation with international mergers and acquisitions,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(1-2), pages 28-40, February.
- Becker, Johannes & Fuest, Clemens, 2011. "Source versus residence based taxation with international mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 28-40.
- Johannes Becker & Clemens Fuest, 2009. "Source versus Residence Based Taxation with International Mergers and Acquisitions," CESifo Working Paper Series 2854, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andreas Haufler & Christian Schulte, 2007.
"Merger Policy and Tax Competition,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2157, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andreas Haufler & Christian Schulte, 2007. "Merger Policy and Tax Competition," Working Papers 035, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Haufler, Andreas & Schulte, Christian, 2007. "Merger Policy and Tax Competition," Discussion Papers in Economics 2074, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Becker, Johannes & Fuest, Clemens, 2011.
"Tax competition -- Greenfield investment versus mergers and acquisitions,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 476-486, September.
- Johannes Becker & Clemens Fuest, 2008. "Tax Competition – Greenfield Investment versus Mergers and Acquisitions," CESifo Working Paper Series 2247, CESifo Group Munich.
- Becker, William E. & Rosen, Sherwin, 1992.
"The learning effect of assessment and evaluation in high school,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 107-118, June.
- Becker, W. & Rosen, S., 1990. "The Learning Effect Of Assessment And Evaluation In High School," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 90-7, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Landsman, Wayne R. & Shackelford, Douglas A. & Yetman, Robert J., 2002. "The determinants of capital gains tax compliance: evidence from the RJR Nabisco leveraged buyout," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 47-74, April.
- Johannes Becker & Clemens Fuest, 2007.
"Taxing Foreign Profits with International Mergers and Acquisitions,"
0719, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Johannes Becker & Clemens Fuest, 2010. "Taxing Foreign Profits With International Mergers And Acquisitions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 51(1), pages 171-186, 02.
- Böhlmark, Anders & Lindahl, Mikael, 2007. "The Impact of School Choice on Pupil Achievement, Segregation and Costs: Swedish Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 2786, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Weisbach, Michael & Axelson, Ulf & Jenkinson, Tim & Stromberg, Per, 2008.
"Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts: An Empirical Analysis,"
08-1, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinson & Per StrÃ¶mberg & Michael S. Weisbach, 2008. "Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts: An Empirical Analysis," OFRC Working Papers Series 2008fe20, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Pehr-Johan Norbäck & Lars Persson & Jonas Vlachos, 2009. "Cross-border acquisitions and taxes: efficiency and tax revenues," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1473-1500, November.
- Erik Devos & Palani-Rajan Kadapakkam & Srinivasan Krishnamurthy, 2009. "How Do Mergers Create Value? A Comparison of Taxes, Market Power, and Efficiency Improvements as Explanations for Synergies," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(3), pages 1179-1211, March.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002.
"How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?,"
NBER Working Papers
8841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2004. "How Much Should We Trust Differences-In-Differences Estimates?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 249-275.
- Thomas S. Dee & Brian A. Jacob, 2006. "Do High School Exit Exams Influence Educational Attainment or Labor Market Performance?," NBER Working Papers 12199, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roland Bénabou & Jean Tirole, 2002. "Self-Confidence and Personal Motivation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(3), pages 871-915.
- Betts, Julian R, 1998. "The Impact of Educational Standards on the Level and Distribution of Earnings," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 266-275, March.
- Sharon Katz, 2008. "Earnings Quality and Ownership Structure: The Role of Private Equity Sponsors," NBER Working Papers 14085, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:iuiwop:0839. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.