Graded Children – Evidence of Longrun Consequences of School Grades from a Nationwide Reform
Swedish elementary school children stopped receiving written end of year report cards following a grading reform in 1982. Gradual implementation of the reform creates an opportunity to investigate the effects of being graded on adult educational attainments and earnings for children in the cohorts born 1954–1974, using a difference-in-differences strategy. Accounting for municipal time trends and tracing out reform dynamics, there is some evidence that being graded increases girls’ years of schooling, but has no significant average effect on boys. Analysis of effects by family background suggests that receiving grades increases the probability of high school graduation for boys and girls with compulsory school educated parents. Sons of university graduates, however, earn less and are less likely to get a university degree if they were graded in elementary school.
|Date of creation:||08 Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Landsman, Wayne R. & Shackelford, Douglas A. & Yetman, Robert J., 2002. "The determinants of capital gains tax compliance: evidence from the RJR Nabisco leveraged buyout," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 47-74, April.
- Weisbach, Michael & Axelson, Ulf & Jenkinson, Tim & Stromberg, Per, 2008.
"Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts: An Empirical Analysis,"
08-1, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinson, 2008. "Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts: An Empirical Analysis," Economics Series Working Papers 2008fe20, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinson & Per StrÃ¶mberg & Michael S. Weisbach, 2008. "Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts: An Empirical Analysis," OFRC Working Papers Series 2008fe20, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Johannes Becker & Clemens Fuest, 2010.
"Taxing Foreign Profits With International Mergers And Acquisitions,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 51(1), pages 171-186, 02.
- Johannes Becker & Clemens Fuest, 2007. "Taxing Foreign Profits with International Mergers and Acquisitions," Working Papers 0719, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Sharon Katz, 2008. "Earnings Quality and Ownership Structure: The Role of Private Equity Sponsors," NBER Working Papers 14085, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Becker, Johannes & Fuest, Clemens, 2011.
"Tax competition -- Greenfield investment versus mergers and acquisitions,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 476-486, September.
- Johannes Becker & Clemens Fuest, 2008. "Tax Competition – Greenfield Investment versus Mergers and Acquisitions," CESifo Working Paper Series 2247, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pehr-Johan Norbäck & Lars Persson & Jonas Vlachos, 2009. "Cross-border acquisitions and taxes: efficiency and tax revenues," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1473-1500, November.
- Becker, Johannes & Fuest, Clemens, 2011.
"Source versus residence based taxation with international mergers and acquisitions,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 28-40.
- Becker, Johannes & Fuest, Clemens, 2011. "Source versus residence based taxation with international mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1-2), pages 28-40, February.
- Johannes Becker & Clemens Fuest, 2009. "Source versus Residence Based Taxation with International Mergers and Acquisitions," CESifo Working Paper Series 2854, CESifo Group Munich.
- Erik Devos & Palani-Rajan Kadapakkam & Srinivasan Krishnamurthy, 2009. "How Do Mergers Create Value? A Comparison of Taxes, Market Power, and Efficiency Improvements as Explanations for�Synergies," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(3), pages 1179-1211, March.
- Andreas Haufler & Christian Schulte, 2007.
"Merger Policy and Tax Competition,"
035, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Andreas Haufler & Christian Schulte, 2007. "Merger Policy and Tax Competition," CESifo Working Paper Series 2157, CESifo Group Munich.
- Haufler, Andreas & Schulte, Christian, 2007. "Merger Policy and Tax Competition," Discussion Papers in Economics 2074, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:iuiwop:0839. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.