The impact of health events on individual labor market histories : the message from difference in differences with exact matching
We studied the effect of health events (accidents and chronic diseases) on the occupation probabilities at the individual level, while accounting for both correlated individual and time effects. Using difference-in-differences with exact matching estimators, we found that health events have a strong impact on individual labor market histories. The workers affected by a healt event have a stronger probability of entering inactivity and a lower probability of keeping their jobs. We also found that the less quali ed workers, women, and workers with short term jobs are the most negatively affected by health events.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2012|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00674560|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luc Behaghel & Didier Blanchet & Thierry Debrand & Muriel Roger, 2012.
"Disability and Social Security Reforms: The French Case,"
NBER Chapters,in: Social Security Programs and Retirement around the World: Historical Trends in Mortality and Health, Employment, and Disability Insurance Participatio, pages 301-326
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luc Behaghel & Didier Blanchet & Thierry Debrand & Muriel Roger, 2011. "Disability and Social Security Reforms: The French Case," NBER Working Papers 17055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luc Behaghel & Didier Blanchet & Thierry Debrand & Muriel Roger, 2011. "Disability and social security reforms: The French case," PSE Working Papers halshs-00556722, HAL.
- Luc Behaghel & Didier Blanchet & Thierry Debrand & Muriel Roger, 2011. "Disability and Social Security Reforms:The French Case," Working Papers DT38, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Feb 2011.
- Behaghel Luc & Blanchet Didier & Debrand Thierry & Muriel Roger, 2012. "Disability and Social Security Reforms: The French Case," Post-Print hal-01504234, HAL.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-255, March-Apr.
- Alain Trannoy & Sandy Tubeuf & Florence Jusot & Marion Devaux, 2010. "Inequality of opportunities in health in France: a first pass," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(8), pages 921-938, August.
- Trannoy, A & Tubeuf, S & Jusot, F & Devaux, M, 2008. "Inequality in Opportunities in Health in France: A first pass," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 08/24, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Didier Blanchet & Thierry Debrand, 2007. "Souhaiter prendre sa retraite le plus tôt possible : santé, satisfaction au travail et facteurs monétaires," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 403(1), pages 39-62.
- Case, Anne & Fertig, Angela & Paxson, Christina, 2005. "The lasting impact of childhood health and circumstance," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 365-389, March.
- Anne Case & Angela Fertig & Christina Paxson, 2004. "The Lasting Impact of Childhood Health and Circumstance," Working Papers 246, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Health and Wellbeing..
- Haan, Peter & Myck, Michal, 2009. "Dynamics of Poor Health and Non-Employment," IZA Discussion Papers 4154, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Peter Haan & Michal Myck, 2009. "Dynamics of Poor Health and Non-employment," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 195, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Petri Böckerman & Pekka Ilmakunnas, 2009. "Unemployment and self-assessed health: evidence from panel data," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(2), pages 161-179.
- Böckerman, Petri & Ilmakunnas, Pekka, 2007. "Unemployment and self-assessed health: Evidence from panel data," MPRA Paper 1798, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thierry Debrand & Nicolas Sirven, 2009. "What are the Motivations of Pathways to Retirement in Europe: Individual, Familial, Professional Situation or Social Protection Systems?," Working Papers DT28, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Oct 2009.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/268 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)