Chronic Illnesses and Injuries: An Evaluation of their Impact on Occupation and Revenues / Maladies chroniques et accidents : une évaluation de leur impact sur le parcours professionnel et les revenus
This paper investigates whether chronic illnesses and injuries have a significant impact on the individual's performance in the labor market. We use the "Santé et Itinéraires Professionnels" (SIP, "Health and Labor Market Histories") survey, conducted in France in 2006-2007. We use the propensity score method in order to evaluate the impact of chronic illnesses and accidents on labor market participation and earnings. We find that both health events, chronic illness and accidents have a negative effect on professional careers and earnings, and that accidents have a greater impact on women's earnings.
|Date of creation:||27 Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00966970|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luc Behaghel & Didier Blanchet & Thierry Debrand & Muriel Roger, 2011.
"Disability and Social Security Reforms: The French Case,"
NBER Working Papers
17055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luc Behaghel & Didier Blanchet & Thierry Debrand & Muriel Roger, 2012. "Disability and Social Security Reforms: The French Case," NBER Chapters, in: Social Security Programs and Retirement around the World: Historical Trends in Mortality and Health, Employment, and Disability Insurance Participatio, pages 301-326 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luc Behaghel & Didier Blanchet & Thierry Debrand & Muriel Roger, 2011. "Disability and social security reforms: The French case," PSE Working Papers halshs-00556722, HAL.
- Luc Behaghel & Didier Blanchet & Thierry Debrand & Muriel Roger, 2011. "Disability and Social Security Reforms:The French Case," Working Papers DT38, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Feb 2011.
- Case, Anne & Fertig, Angela & Paxson, Christina, 2005.
"The lasting impact of childhood health and circumstance,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 365-389, March.
- Anne Case & Angela Fertig & Christina Paxson, 2004. "The Lasting Impact of Childhood Health and Circumstance," Working Papers 246, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Health and Wellbeing..
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00556722 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lee, Myoung-jae, 2005. "Micro-Econometrics for Policy, Program and Treatment Effects," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199267699.
- Alain Trannoy & Sandy Tubeuf & Florence Jusot & Marion Devaux, 2010.
"Inequality of opportunities in health in France: a first pass,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(8), pages 921-938, August.
- Trannoy, Alain & Tubeuf, Sandy & Jusot, Florence & Devaux, Marion, 2010. "Inequality of Opportunities in Health in France: A First Pass," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/268, Paris Dauphine University.
- Trannoy, A & Tubeuf, S & Jusot, F & Devaux, M, 2008. "Inequality in Opportunities in Health in France: A first pass," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 08/24, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Anne Moller Dano, 2005. "Road injuries and long-run effects on income and employment," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(9), pages 955-970.
- Thierry Debrand & Nicolas Sirven, 2009. "What are the Motivations of Pathways to Retirement in Europe: Individual, Familial, Professional Situation or Social Protection Systems?," Working Papers DT28, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Oct 2009.
- Haan, Peter & Myck, Michal, 2009.
"Dynamics of Poor Health and Non-Employment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4154, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Peter Haan & Michal Myck, 2009. "Dynamics of Poor Health and Non-employment," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 195, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 2002.
"Propensity Score-Matching Methods For Nonexperimental Causal Studies,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 151-161, February.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 1998. "Propensity Score Matching Methods for Non-experimental Causal Studies," NBER Working Papers 6829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00966970. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.