Urbanisation and changes in the sectoral structure of economic development: the scale of the manufacturing sector in Chinese cities and the shift towards service industry
There are many dimensions to the evolving economic development model in China and the role for urbanization within it. One key component is a requirement to incorporate a wider range of service industries, especially in the nation's fast-growing cities where there is demand for knowledge and related advanced services that will support, for example, the necessary shift to more 'modern' manufacturing. This paper summarizes progress towards servicification and the rationale for undertaking more research that will deepen understanding of the actual and potential contribution of producer services. Some recent empirical evidence on the growth trends for producer service in selected cities, including the four case study cities of Shanghai, Huangshan, Chongqing and Kunming, is presented. It is shown that in majority of cities the manufacturing-services gap remains a significant.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00943972v2|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kirkegaard, Jacob Funk, 2012.
"Transactions: A New Look at Service Sector Foreign Direct Investment in Asia,"
ADB Economics Working Paper Series
318, Asian Development Bank.
- Jacob Funk Kirkegaard, 2012. "Transactions: A New Look at Services Sector Foreign Direct Investment in Asia," Working Paper Series WP12-16, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Magnus Lodefalk, 2014.
"The role of services for manufacturing firm exports,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 150(1), pages 59-82, February.
- Lodefalk, Magnus, 2012. "The Role of Services for Manufacturing Firms’ Exports," Working Papers 2012:10, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Ghani, Ejaz, 2012.
"Service with a Smile,"
World Bank - Economic Premise,
The World Bank, issue 96, pages 1-6, November.
- Marcus Noland & Donghyun Park & Gemma B. Estrada, 2012.
"Developing the Services Sector as Engine of Growth for Asia: An Overview,"
Working Paper Series
WP12-18, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Noland, Marcus & Park, Donghyun & Estrada, Gemma B., 2012. "Developing the Service Sector as Engine of Growth for Asia: An Overview," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 320, Asian Development Bank.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2007.
"Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade,"
FIW Working Paper series
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2008. "Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 199-229, December.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2007. "Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-045/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Vandermerwe, Sandra & Rada, Juan, 1988. "Servitization of business: Adding value by adding services," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 314-324, December.
- P.W. Daniels, 2004. "Reflections on the "Old" Economy, "New" Economy, and Services," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(2), pages 115-138.
- Arti Grover Goswami & Aaditya Mattoo & Sebastián Sáez, 2012. "Exporting Services : A Developing Country Perspective," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2379.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2001. "The Determinants of Agglomeration," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 191-229, September.
- John R. Bryson, 1997. "Business service firms, service space and the management of change," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 93-112, January.
- Hong Yi & Fiona F Yang & Anthony G O Yeh, 2011. "Intraurban location of producer services in Guangzhou, China," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 43(1), pages 28-47, January.
- Aaditya Mattoo, 2003. "China's Accession to the WTO: The Services Dimension," Journal of International Economic Law, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 299-339, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00943972. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.