Exporting Services : A Developing Country Perspective
The book builds on previous research, including that by the World Bank, on trade in services. Such research includes analyses of the effect of liberalizing services in developing countries and sectoral studies on financial, transportation, telecommunication, and professional services, as well as on international negotiations. The conceptual framework for this book is based on the existing literature on the service sector (Francois and Hoekman 2010; Hoekman and Mattoo 2008). Recognizing the heterogeneity in both, economic structure of developing countries and their service exports, this book takes an eclectic approach to identifying successful strategies. Chapter two surveys the literature on determinants of service exports and presents an illustrative empirical model that synthesizes the available models on trade in services. Because trade data on services are scarce and have a number of weaknesses, rigorous econometric analysis has serious limits. The subsequent chapters of the book examine the determinants of trade in services through case studies of the experiences of countries with varying degrees of success. The book analyzes service export performance for the following countries: Brazil, Chile, the Arab Republic of Egypt, India, Kenya, Malaysia, and the Philippines. The countries were selected on the basis of their performance in global trade (especially trade in services), their regional role, and the availability of data and because they have consciously pursued policies to promote service exports.
|This book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 2379 and published in 2012.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cyrille Schwellnus, 2010. "Chile: Boosting Productivity Growth by Strengthening Competition, Entrepreneurship and Innovation," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 785, OECD Publishing.
- Bravo LIllo, Cristian & Achá Alvarez, Verónica, 2009. "Chile: desarrollo endógeno con proyecciones externas," Copublicaciones, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), number 1994.
- Manuel Agosin & Cristian Larraín & Nicolás Grau, 2009.
"Industrial policy in Chile,"
wp294, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Manuel Agosin & Nicolas Grau & Christian Larrain, 2010. "Industrial Policy in Chile," Research Department Publications 4695, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- repec:wbk:wbpubs:28028 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gereffi, Gary & Fernandez-Stark, Karina, 2010. "The offshore services value chain : developing countries and the crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5262, The World Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)