Industrial Policies in Latin America
This chapter analyses the main features of industrial policies carried out in Latin America since 1990. It studies these policies during import substitution industrialization and how they changed after the market-oriented economic reforms. It presents the main national strategies, policy lines and instruments designed in the region, as well as the return of sectoral policies to the public agenda. Special attention is paid to Brazilian industrial policies because they represent the most advanced experience in the region. The paper underscores that progress in policy design has out paced improvements in policy implementation and evaluation, and discusses the importance of sector targeting, endogenous capabilities, institutions, and political will for industrial policy.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 Helsinki|
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Rodrik, Dani, 2002.
"Economic Development as Self-Discovery,"
Working Paper Series
rwp02-023, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Verónica Baz & Maria Cristina Capelo & Rodrigo Centeno & Ricardo Estrada, 2010.
"Productive Development Policies in Latin America and the Caribbean: The Case of Mexico,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
70078, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Veronica Baz & Maria Cristina Capelo & Rodrigo Centeno & Ricardo Estrada, 2010. "Productive Development Policies in Latin America and the Caribbean: The Case of Mexico," Research Department Publications 4693, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Peres Núñez, Wilson, 1993. "Industrial policy: where do we stand?," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), December.
- Suzigan, Wilson & Furtado, João, 2006. "Industrial policy and development," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:wp2011-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.