Trends in developing country trade 1980-2010
This paper reviews trends and patterns in developing countries'trade from 1980 to 2010. During the 30-year span, world trade expanded rapidly, especially in developing countries in the last decade. A similar picture emerges in trade in services. These overall trends, however, mask different trade patterns during some of the time periods and among different developing countries and groups. For example, except for Asia, the 1980s were pretty much a"lost"decade for many developing countries and groups. But that changed in the 1990s and 2000s, with trade by all major developing countries growing faster than developed countries. From 1980 to 2000, trade by Least Developed Countries grew much more slowly than that of developing countries as a whole. But those countries saw the fastest growth in trade in the following decade. This strong overall trade performance -- with some exceptions (for example Sub-Sahara Africa in the manufacturing trade) -- raises questions about sustainability, trade policy and the architecture of the trading system.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nathalie Aminian & K. Fung & Francis Ng, 2009. "A comparative analysis of trade and economic integration in East Asia and Latin America," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 105-137, May.
- Kei-Mu Yi, 2000.
"Can vertical specialization explain the growth of world trade?,"
96, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Kei-Mu Yi, 2003. "Can Vertical Specialization Explain the Growth of World Trade?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(1), pages 52-102, February.
- Fung , K.C. & Korhonen, Iikka & Li, Ke & Ng, Francis, 2008.
"China and central and eastern European countries : regional networks, global supply chain, or international competitors?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4689, The World Bank.
- Fung, K.C. & Korhonen, Iikka & Li, Ke & Ng, Francis, 2008. "China and Central and Eastern European Countries: Regional networks, global supply chain or international competitors?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 9/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Mayer, Jörg, 2004.
"Export Dynamism and Market Access,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 19, pages 289-316.
- Greenaway, David & Morgan, Wyn & Wright, Peter, 2002. "Trade liberalisation and growth in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 229-244, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:6334. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.