Demand growth versus market share gains : decomposing world manufacturing import growth
This paper decomposes manufacturing import growth rates in a selected set of large industrial and developing countries (five industrial and eight developing) and measures the relative contributions of domestic demand and market share changes for two separate periods 1991/92 - 2001/02 and 2001/02 - 2007/08. It also shows the shares of imports both from the rest of the world and from developing countries for aggregate and three-digit manufacturing sectors. Import growth is much higher during the 2000s driven by higher demand growth rates. While market share changes explain most of the growth during the 1990s, its contribution is relatively smaller during the 2000s. Imports from developing countries have grown much faster both in industrial and developing country markets driven primarily by market share changes. However, more than half of market share gains by developing countries are caused by the exports of China, which accounts for more than 70 percent of market share gains of developing countries in the sample countries during the 2000s. Despite rapid growth, developing countries'share in the gross absorption of the sample countries is still low and can expand substantially even if demand growth is much lower in the near future.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2011.
"South-South Trade: An Asian Perspective,"
Departmental Working Papers
2011-09, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Dean, Judith & Fung, K.C. & Wang, Zhi, 2008. "How vertically specialized is Chinese trade?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 31/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Ng, Francis & Yeats, Alexander, 2003. "Major trade trends in East Asia : what are their implications for regional cooperation and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3084, The World Bank.
- Ng, Francis & Yeats, Alexander, 1997.
"Open economies work better! did Africa's protectionist policies cause its marginalization in world trade?,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 889-904, June.
- Ng, Francis & Yeats, Alexander, 1996. "Open economies work better! Did Africa's protectionist policies cause its marginalization in world trade?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1636, The World Bank.
- Jakob B. Madsen, 2008. "Innovations and manufacturing export performance in the OECD countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(1), pages 143-167, January.
- Robert Koopman & Zhi Wang & Shang-Jin Wei, 2008. "How Much of Chinese Exports is Really Made In China? Assessing Domestic Value-Added When Processing Trade is Pervasive," NBER Working Papers 14109, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chen, Xikang & Cheng, Leonard K. & Fung, K.C. & Lau, Lawrence J. & Sung, Yun-Wing & Zhu, K. & Yang, C. & Pei, J. & Duan, Y., 2012.
"Domestic value added and employment generated by Chinese exports: A quantitative estimation,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 850-864.
- Chen, Xikang & Cheng, Leonard & Fung, K.C. & Lau, Lawrence J. & Sung, YunWing & Yang, C. & Zhu, K. & Pei, J. & Tang, Z., 2008. "Domestic Value Added and Employment Generated by Chinese Exports: A Quantitative Estimation," MPRA Paper 15663, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dierk Herzer & Nowak-Lehnmann Felicitas, 2006. "What does export diversification do for growth? An econometric analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(15), pages 1825-1838.
- Alessandro Nicita & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2007. "Trade, Production, and Protection Database, 1976--2004," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 21(1), pages 165-171.
- Fosu, Augustin Kwasi, 1990. "Export composition and the impact of exports on economic growth of developing economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 67-71, September.
- Mayer, Jorg, 2003.
"Export Dynamism and Market Access,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Lawrence Edwards & Phil Alves, 2006. "South Africa'S Export Performance: Determinants Of Export Supply," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 74(3), pages 473-500, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:6375. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.